Why do my 100 ohm resistors keep Burning up?

orig:I have a 120 V 1.2 amp electric fan motor, im using 100 ohm resistors and they keep burning up. What am I doing wrong? Thank you Bonobo and Rowlfe! Do you know what part i should be using if not a resistor? Well let me explain my whole scenario... The exhaust fan in my bathroom stop working, so i took... show more orig:I have a 120 V 1.2 amp electric fan motor, im using 100 ohm resistors and they keep burning up. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you Bonobo and Rowlfe! Do you know what part i should be using if not a resistor?

Well let me explain my whole scenario... The exhaust fan in my bathroom stop working, so i took it down and disassembled it. it revealed a 120v/60hz 1.2A electric motor(A shaded pole AC motor - i discoverd after some reasearch.) I began ripping off the cover of the coils to see if there was a broken connection of some kind, in doing so i crushed something that looked like a resistor(without any signafiying color bands). It was in too many pieces to tell what it was or said on it. So i did some research, discovered ohms law, did the math and realized i needed a 100ohm resistor to achieve 1.2 amps from 120v. I got to radio shack and picked up 1/4 and 1/2 watt 100 ohm resistors. I quicky learned about the power of watts. (they set on fire pretty quickly.) After further research I realized i would need a resistor with a 144 watt power rating and 100 ohms. and they just don't make those (actually they do, but i'd have to order it oversea's for $10+shipping when a brand new motor is $20) Went back to radio shack and got their highest rated resistor, 5 watts. Solder'ed it up and the motor ran great! Except the resistor got HOT. I nearly burned off my fingerprint after a less-than-a-minute run. I figured this wasn't safe. And i have not ran the power supply directly to the coil in fear of what might happen.

SO HERE I AM. you mentioned i should probably be using something other than a resistor. What would one suggest. What was that part I broke? Thank You! (By the way, i have become obsessed with electromagnetic motors)
3 answers