is going to college worth debt?

I've been trying to make college desicions lately and asking around I seem to get very mixed opinions on whether or not college is worth it, it would help A LOT if someone could give some good reasons as to why it is or is not worth it

any tips on how I could avoid debt but still go to college would also be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

I'd just like to point out that the people criticizing college are almost always people who either didn't attend it, or who did but didn't get anything out of it and haven't been successful.

College is just about a necessity to achieve any sort of financial stability.

While you will almost definitely acquire some debt, you should be making quite a bit more post-college than you would if you'd never attended, which should more than make up for the difference.

Also, be sure to see how much aid certain schools offer you, as it could make college quite a bit cheaper, especially if you've done well in high school.

Ultimately, it's a decision that everyone needs to make individually, and I think you should take into account not only the financial aspects, but your career aspirations. Would you rather be working doing something you love, with some acquired debt, or go directly into the workforce after high school doing something you're not so passionate about? That's the decision you've got to make.

• ...

I would say it depends..

I'll tell you about my sister and I to illustrate my point. My sister is 16 years older than me and she has a bachelors and a masters from Cambridge University in sociology. My sister now 12ish years out of college has yet to hold down a stable job and is STILL paying off debt in her mid 30s. I would say the biggest reason this happened is because she picked the wrong major. She picked something she liked and was interested in, but when it comes down to it sociology is the lowest paying u/g degree in the US. A lot of people say you should study what you enjoy and are interested in, however you have to weigh the price you are willing to pay for this. If the major you are picking has NO jobs or requires a higher degree to get a decent job and that is not something that you want to do then I say.. save your money and don;t bother with college (OR change your major). It is true that today you really need a college education to have career, however if you are spending $50,000 a year on a major that you may not get a job over $35,000 a year with, then it is probably not cost effective to go to college (or you could pick a different major).

Ok, other side of the story. I, on the other hand, plan to major in chemical engineering and then pursue graduate study later. I'm going to college 12yrs after my sister, the price of college has increased tremendously, however I am picking a major where I will actually be able to get a fairly well paying job and I will be able to pay off my debt. In this case, I feel like college is worth the money.

I would definitly say you can't do much without going to college these days, but I think kids need to be told more than just 'do what you enjoy.' The cost of college is too much for it to just be an exploration of what interests you especially since today doing what you enjoy does not always mean getting a job or being fiancially stable and if that is important to you, you may want to consider finding other subjects you enjoy. Just my opinion.

There are ways to find a balance and still obtain a degree. As Director of HR for a large international company, I feel education cannot be sufficiently stressed. Even our Administrative Assistant candidates should have a minimum of an Associates Degree (2-year). The Executive Assistant positions require a Bachelors Degree.

Check out the local community colleges; their cost is very reasonable when compared to universities. There are at least two grants that you should investigate: Federal Pell Grant (pays up to $5,500 per year) and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (pays between $100 and $4,000). However an Associates degree should cost under $5,000 so would be totally paid for.

This would give you the basics and you would not even need to declare a major, There are also various scholarships for which you can apply. You could actually graduate without having any debt.

Hope this helps.

In today's world, in order to get a good job you need to have some sort of post high school education. The best form is by going to a college or university and taking advantage of the things offered. Yes, there will be a lot of debt but it's worth it in the end. If you want to be able to support a family down the road, a college education is the right way to go.

You need to realize that it is a FACT that the higher education you receive you get paid more. A person with a Masters degree in a specialized field gets paid almost double the salary of a person with just their B.A. Heck, even with a B.A. you can potentially earn 100k USD depending on the field and the job market.

Also there are ways around college debt. The major issue with borrowing money for college is the interest. I am usually told to avoid this option when possibly. As an alternative look for grants and scholarship for college. FASFA usually has something to offer. Even if you don't qualify for money they have this job program that helps you find a job on campus to make some money. Also working part time is always an option. Or you could also start out with a Community College first, then transfer out.

There are always options.

• Rogue

hi,

find information how much will you be earning without a college degree and with a college degree.

A college degree adds value to your resume, so it's really important.

You need to work hard to arrange for schlorship in that case.

College loan would be paid easily in 2-3 yrs if you are able to find a job after college.

It's worth going but again, you need to be smart and work really hard.

Not anymore..colleges cost $50k a year now, so after 4 years you'll have $200k worth of debt and NO JOB

• Usha

Oh that stinks that you can't get any Pell grants. As far as college being worth the price I would have to say Yes. Look at the Job market to see if your preferred field of study is on the rise. I for one am not a big fan of psychology but to each their own.

If you take a major that leads to a job, like engineering, yes it is worth while. But if you take a degree like history that does not lead to a job then no.

Also, you can go to your state university for like a 1/10th of this price.

I attended a public university, instead of the private school of my dreams, and I graduated with honors and with NO debt. I'm glad I did.