Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 9 years ago

Are humans ever going to space again after sts-133?

The TV reporters said this is the last rocket launch in our life-time is that true???

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

It's the last SHUTTLE launch. NASA has different plans and they do not involve the shuttle. There is still a very strong desire to return to the moon and there are the plans to get to Mars, but they have to rethink the strategies

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No, there will be 2 more space shuttle launches this year (Endeavour and Atlantis) and then that's the end of the space shuttles. That was the last launch for the space shuttle Discovery. NASA is developing rockets for use by 2015 or earlier. They are like an updated version of the Apollo rockets. A vehicle to replace the space shuttles will be developed over the next 10 years.

Source(s): I was at the Astronaut Hall of Fame watching the STS-133 launch live and listening to Bob Springer, shuttle astronaut, who was also there.
  • 9 years ago

So far, two other countries are able to send humans in space, and they will likely continue.

The European Space Agency could if they needed to, but they won't (at least, not until they have a program where they need to).

It is possible that the last shuttle launch could be the last American manned rocket launch in a decade or so. But certainly not more than that. So I guess the reporter expects to have a short life.

Unless the reporter simply meant the last American shuttle launch. At least, according to plans. I'm sure that if we needed to, we could eke out another trip after the last one. However, that would be it. The shuttles are simply getting too old.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

STS133 is just the last Space Shuttle launch. There will be a newer version latter.

There are other countries that are putting men and women into space besides the United States.

The Space Station is still manned.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • No, it is just expected to be the last launch of the US space shuttles. For the time being, there will be plenty of launches from the Russina space agency Hopefully, in the future US spacecraft will be developed to continue manned space flight from the US. There are also independent, non-government rocket programs -- like Richard Branson's...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

TV reporters need to get their **** straight.

Don't believe everything you hear in the media. Sometimes they don't know all the facts anyway. Besides think about it: If you take that statement literally, that means all the people on the international space station are stranded. As long as we are capable I think we are destined for space.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

no the reporter was in greif so they probaly shouldve said this the last failed space shuttle launch

• 9 years ago

no this is not true

the Russians will still use the Suyuz

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.