Will the Rapture/Apocalypse really happen on May 21, 2011?

I've been hearing all this talk about how the Rapture is going to occur on May 21st, with the end of the world happening later on October 21. People are saying there's all kinds of proof

On one hand, it all does sound kind of silly, but I can't help but being scared, so assuage my fears:

Do you really think it'll happen?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No.

The man behind the May 21, 2011 prophecy, Harold Camping has already been incorrect once and, therefore, is a false prophet. If he had lived in Old Testament times, he would have been stoned to death for making an incorrect prophecy. No responsible Christian leader supports his "prophecy" http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2...

"But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come." (Mark 13:32-33)

Jesus told us in no uncertain terms that we were not to know when the end of the world would come but that we were always to be ready.

Each new Christian denomination seems to worry about the end of the world a bit too much. Then after a couple of centuries, they realize that there are always wars and rumors of wars, etc.

I won't even mention the hundreds of false predictions of the end of the world over the centuries, all of which were based on individual interpretations of biblical prophecies.

The first century Christian Church thought that Jesus was going to return at any moment. Only after a couple of centuries did the Church realize that it may be 2,000 or 4,000 or 8,000 years before Jesus returns.

The Catholic Church wisely follows Jesus' advice and teaches that each of us should live as if we will meet our maker in the next ten minutes and that we need to work to make the world a better place for our 100 X great-grandchildren.

Do not worry about the end of the world. Trust God to make sure everything happens to plan. Just be ready to meet God at any time.

For more information, about what Catholics believe about the end of the world, see: http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac0...

With love in Christ.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

The bible clearly tells us that Christ will come back as a thief in the night and that we are not to know the times and the seasons that are in Gods hands. Thus anyone that claims a specific date like this would only be guessing.

It may well be that Christ might return on that date. We do not know. As for the apocalypse. Even after Christ returns there is at least a thousand years if not more before the world ends.

• 9 years ago

Every time I see a large number of people pointing toan specific date like May 21, 2011, as the date of the Rapture I fell security they are wrong. No one down here knows when the Rapture will happen, only God knows.

I believe it will be soon, but I can not, and I would not say a date. Again, only God knows the exact date.

• 9 years ago

No.

It's just another example of pseudo-religious bunk by people trying to interpret the bible to fit in with their own crackpot ideas. This time the perpetrator is Harold Camping. Here is his 'calculation':

"The number 5, Camping concluded, equals "atonement." Ten is "completeness." Seventeen means "heaven." Camping patiently explained how he reached his conclusion for May 21, 2011.

"Christ hung on the cross April 1, 33 A.D.," he began. "Now go to April 1 of 2011 A.D., and that's 1,978 years."

Camping then multiplied 1,978 by 365.2422 days - the number of days in each solar year, not to be confused with a calendar year.

Next, Camping noted that April 1 to May 21 encompasses 51 days. Add 51 to the sum of previous multiplication total, and it equals 722,500.

Camping realized that (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) = 722,500.

Or put into words: (Atonement x Completeness x Heaven), squared."

In other words, it's total numerological nonsense. Add, subtract and multiply various numbers until they give the result you want.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Fear Not! The bible says lots of wacky things. After all, it is a bronze age document that was last edited in the medieval times. And this Harold Camping is suffering from a religious delusion. If you think about the history of religion, ancient people worshiped the moon and stars. Native Americans believed animals were spirits. Christianity is just another myth along these lines. The so-called prophets are just using fear to try and manipulate your emotions and win your loyalty. Be smart, put your faith in reason and rational thinking rather than believing some misguided, wrinkled old jesus freak!

What these gloom and doom prophets like to tell you that god and jesus love you, but god and jesus will have no problem sending you straight to hell. Does this make sense? Would you destroy someone you love?

They also like to blab about god destroying the universe. This makes no sense either. If you created something beautiful, like a painting of piece of music, would you destroy it?

If you like, do a web search for "Age of Reason" and research how people struggled with questions similar to yours as humans emerged from the Dark Ages.

• Ask the question again on May 22, 2011.

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. " -- Mark 13:32, King James Version

Source(s): The HOLY Bible
  • rowlfe
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You say: "People are saying there's all kinds of proof"

Show me this so-called proof, the smoking gun as it were that makes the case for credibility. Without THAT, these claims are all as empty as the ones for Y2K and ALL of the OTHER past "end of the world" predictions that FAILED to appear!

If you really believe this, then I have the DEAL of the century for YOU, an option on a bridge in New York that I will sell you for a measly $10,000 in small unmarked bills...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It could but not because someone predicted it, it could happen any day any hour and any second. ONLY God knows not even the angels in heaven know. So be ready because it can happen faster than a blink of an eye

Source(s): Bible
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

nope no one knows when the end of days will be. that is not for us to know.

look back through history

Sept. 6 1994 was supposed to be the end- we're still here

year 2000 we're still here

06/06/06 we're still here

may 21 2011 we will live to see another day

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Ask me October 22

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.