R W
R W asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 9 years ago

How much oil would I save if I stopped driving entirely?

If I gave up my car and never drove anywhere, how much oil would I use? My local public transportation provider runs on electricity (at least on the routes I would use), so it uses minimal petroleum.

However, my groceries get to the store by truck, the farmer that grows my food uses oil, the roads I bike/bus on are maintained by oil burning equipment (and paved with petroleum derived asphalt), I depend on city fire/police/ambulance services fueled by oil, some of my household goods are made from oil derived plastic, many things I purchase come from overseas on an oil fueled ship, etc.

So, I guess my question is.... even if everyone gave up their car (or switched to electric vehicles), how much oil would the USA still need to import?

• June B
    Best Answer

Grow your own garden, raise your own chickens, make homemade meals, there are a lot of ways to reduce your carbon foot print if you start doing things yourself. If we all do as much as we can ourselves it will make a huge difference. The thing is our economy is dependent upon each individual do as little as possible so that business can extract as much as they can out of each of us. Learn to do things yourself is the best way to help the environment.

According the US Energy Information Administration; in 2009 United States net imports equalled 9.7 million barrels per day = 3,540,000,000 barrels per year.

In 2009 total petroleum usage in the US accounted for about 35 'quads' of energy which equals 6,020,000,000 barrels of oil. 72% of this was used on transportation = 4,300,000,000 barrels of oil.

Average car in US uses about 547 gallons of petrol (gasoline) per year.

There are apparently 246 million cars on the roads in the US (unbelievable!) though this figure is down from a peak of 250 mill in 2008.

One barrel of oil apparently only produces about 20 gallons of petrol (gasoline)

So very roughly 246,000,000 x 547 ÷ 20 = 6,728,000,000 barrels of oil per year or about 18.5 million barrels a day, which is about double what you import.

Presuming you are going to carry on producing diesel fuel, jet fuel, solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, and plastics from the rest the barrel of oil, the net saving on petrol (gasoline) might be equivalent to 9 million barrels of oil a day?? Equal to your current imports.