homeschool vs public schools?

homeschool vs public schools?

Its seems to me that more and more people now a days are homeschooling...i would like any info pro's and cons about either..but NO rude comments...

I am considering homeschooling~ but Socialism is NOT a problem for my children...we are in tons of activities..we are in: T-ball, basketball, Soccer, 4-H cloverbuds, Awana, library storytime/crafts, Bibleschools (4 differ ones we go to), sunday school, church, i babysit (as of now but if i homeschooled i wouldn't) so we are in TONS of fun activities...we also are about to start piano lessons..and cubscouts..so we are around other children all day..and if we do homeschool i would go to to co-op once a week (thats where all the homeschoolers get together and do lessons kind of like being in a school) and the homeschool here meets once a month to do activities together..

~We go on tons of vacations, mini vacations and mini trips a year~ we go to the beach, camping, swimming, boating, fishing, 4-wheel riding, Disneys on ice, circus, zoo..

Best Answer

Pros:

Individualized education that can be custom fit the learning style and interests of each student

Ability to seek out more hands on/field-trip opportunities

Ability to move at the speed that the student needs in each subject

"School work" can be finished in much less time than a typical school day because of teacher/student ration, no wasted time on home-room, period changes etc.

Lack of being bound by age/grade level/ school district etc.

Not bound by the public school calendar for vacations etc

"School" can take place anywhere at any time.

Socializing and socialization (which are 2 different things BTW) takes place in the real world, vs. the segregated setting of public school.

Cons:

Putting up with ignorant stereo-types spouted off by those who never learned to think outside of the public school box.

All research indicates that not only are homeschoolers well socialized and well adjusted, but that they also participate in more social activities as children and adults. Research also shows that public schools are harmful to social skills and the ability to socialize. Homeschooling gives the chance to be around a wider variety of people. Homeschoolers are not limited to being around only those who live in the same school district and who were born in the same 12 month period. Instead, homeschoolers are free to be around people of all ages and who live within a larger area. There are so many ways to socialize beyond the box that is public school. Statistics show that the average homeschooler participates in 3x the number of extracurricular activities over their public school counterparts. Studies also show that homeschoolers are more active in their community not only when they are homeschooling but also once they enter college and/or the workforce.

There also seem to be the assumption that parents can't teach more then they know. There are many false assumptions about how homeschooling works such as: parents are the only ones teaching; the parent can't learn right along with the student; students can't learn something on their own...etc. If humans were incapable of learning beyond what their parents knew we would still be living in caves. Humans are curious by nature. It is the unnatural setting of public school that kills that natural desire.

Statistics and standardized test scores prove that homeschooling works. Homeschoolers consistently score higher than their public school peers. When homeschoolers are broken down into categories by their parents’ education levels, the children of school teachers/those with degrees in educational fields score slightly lower that the average for homeschoolers. While no one knows for certain why this is the case, it is believed that “trained teachers” are more likely to insist that a student bend to fit the curricula instead of bending the curricula to fit the student’s needs. Most former school teachers that homeschool will tell you that their schooling got in the way of being an effective homeschool parent.

Many homeschoolers take AP and/or college courses during high school. It is very common for a homeschooler to graduate high school with 1-2 years of college credits. This is usually due to dual enrollment at a local community college or by taking CLEP exams.

There are many ways to meet friends and to be active while homeschooling such as:

Take up a new hobby or expand on a current one

Volunteering

Join a homeschool co-op

Join a homeschool social group

Join the YMCA, YWCA, Boys Club/Girls Club

Take classes through the local recreation center or private studio such as: sports, dancing, martial arts, art etc

Learn to play a musical instrument

Book Clubs

Scouts

Activities through your church/synagogue/mosque/coven etc

It is really sad that those who have bought into the myths and stereo-types are unable to think beyond the literal and figurative box of public school. They do not realize that the reason all their childhood memories and friends come from school is because they spent the majority of their waking hours from the ages of 5-18 in public school or involved in its activities. They assume that friends and childhood memories can only come from public school because sadly that is the only experience they have. They have been duped into believing that public school equals the real world yet they fail to realize that nowhere else in life other than prison is one’s life so controlled by others. In school you can't even take a drink of water or use the restroom without the permission of someone else.

Source(s): STUDIES AND STATISTICS ACT scores: http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/olderkids/Coll... (scroll down to the excel spreadsheet) Study on Canadian adults who were homeschooled: http://www.hslda.ca/cche_research/2009Study.pdf http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/weblinks/resea... Evidence for Homeschooling: Constitutional Analysis in Light of Social Science Research: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id... Socialization: http://learninfreedom.org/socialization.html List of several studies: http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/weblinks/resea... Cases against public school: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/... List of various articles: http://www.ontariohomeschool.org/socialization.sht...

Ok, so I'm currently 14, Ive been home schooled my entire life. Ive never done any sort of standardized tests, so I have no way of academically comparing myself to others my age. So, I'll tell you rather of the social pros and cons of the subject. If your a mother or soon to be mother looking into homeschooling then I would probably recommend finding online resources and other home schoolers in the area. Don't deprive your children of social interaction at a young age as my parents have done. I have some lasting social qualms due to my parents unfortunate temporary ignorance towards the subject. If you have older children, make sure they are on board above anything else. Unhappy students lead to bad grades! Also be certain to give them the time for friends while still making sure they get a proper education. Hope this helps! Whether your are mother or simply a procrastinating student like me =P

• CDT

I was in public school from kindergarten through 9th grade and then homeschooled 10th through graduation.

Honestly, i had a very bad public school experience. I got along with everyone...talked to everyone, but i just couldn't stand the drama that followed everyone around. It was always there and i just wasn't that type of person. Not to mention, i got to high school and everyone instantly got into sex, drugs and alcohol...none of which i was interested in. It was just a bad, worthless environment for me personally I also worked too fast for the teachers. I would get my work done; i would understand the material quickly...and then would be made to wait until the rest of the class caught up. I was BORED. And then teachers would get mad like it was my fault. The only time i was happy in public school was when we did independent study and they gave us a semester's worth of teacher's notes and assignments and we worked by ourselves.

So...

Pros: Constant socialization

Cons: Drama; not being able to work at your own pace; possibly boredom

After 9th grade i switched to an independent study online school Most of my classes were based from books -- teachers would write their notes, assignments and then give tests and semester tests. I taught myself and worked at my own pace. I got straight A's and graduated 2 years early. I was always going, i was never bored. I had TONS of time for friends and to make new friends; TONS of time for my jobs (needed) as well as volunteer work.

So...

Pros: Flexible schedule; work at your own pace; decide how YOU want to learn instead of someone telling you how to learn

Cons: You're not in a structured environment so if you are working alone like i was, it can be hard to motivate yourself at times.

As for the socialization argument, it's complete BS. Anybody who's done their research or who has been involved with homeschooling knows that there are dozens of socializing options for homeschoolers. It's up to the students and parents to make it happen.

• Pippin

There are wonderful public schools and there are awful public schools.

There are parents who do a wonderful job of homeschooling and raise well-educated, well adjusted young people -- and there are parents who do a terrible job.

If you are considering homeschooling, I think you need to give some thought as to why you want to do it, and how qualified you are to teach. What other outlets will your children have for socialization and learning to function in society?

There are many books available that discuss the many aspects of home schooling -- try your public library or bookstore.

Homeschool. Parents think they are teachers, but lack the schooling.

The only benefits to home schooling is, your child can become, class president. Valedictorian. Prom Queen/King. Things that may not have happened had they been in regular school.

Public. Proper education, by qualified educators. That's why they need a college degree. If they didn't, anyone would teach.

Social life. Believe it not, kids have more of one, in public school. It's hard to have friends when you're not around them.

Home education is a HUGE responsibility for parents, and if you are unwilling to put in the effort required to research, create, and maintain an educational plan your children will suffer. In that case, it would probably be better to put them in public school. If, however, you are willing to do the work, the education your children receive at home will be FAR superior to anything they could receive at even the best public (or private) schools because it will be tailored exactly to their needs and interests, something that can only be done by a dedicated parent who knows their child inside and out and doesn't have 30 other children to take care of.

I will use my 7 year old as an example because he is the oldest and has been home educated the longest. He reads on a fourth grade level, can create a family tree with four generations on it, and can use a laptop to navigate to age-appropriate web sites and type in a Word document using "home row" typing. He can identify every bone in the human body and more than 400 animals (as well as categorize them according to habitat, species, etc), and knows all the continents and oceans and can even find more than 100 countries on an unmarked map. He knows what year the Declaration of Independence was written and who wrote it, what the Constitution is and when/where it was ratified, and can match more than a dozen inventions to their creators. He can give examples of nouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives as well as identify the subject and the predicate of simple sentences. He can count to 100, as well as add and subtract on grade level (math is his weaker subject). He meets (and exceeds) every standard of our state's public school system, AND has been able to develop a love for learning that is not present when children are in public school. (I NEVER have to force my child to do school work!). I truly believe his success is possible because we are able to teach him in a way that is individualized to meet his needs and his interests.

Whether you want to do it or not is entirely up to you, but I will say that if you are dedicated and willing to put the work in to develop an excellent curriculum, nurture a good learning environment, and to ensure appropriate social interaction for your children you won't regret home educating. Good luck!

EDIT: Kids who are not socializing while homeschooled are missing out because of their PARENTS, not because of the intrinsic nature of home education, which can be a very social experience if the parents are willing to make that a priority.

Source(s): Unschooling mom of 3 kids ages 7, 3, and 2

I would homeschool in a heartbeat if our local public school wasn't up to par. I think homeschooling is excellent given you have the proper materials to do so.

We "homeschool" our kids for preschool, rather than sending them to the public school. I was homeschooled for 4 years as a kid and loved it. I learned so much and had a blast.

The only cons can be if your kids don't participate in social activities. As long as they still have places to go and socialize (youth groups, homeschooling groups, sports, etc.) that's all that matters.

Contrary to ignorant belief, you don't have to be in a school 7 hours a day to have friends. When I was homeschooled I had MORE friends than any of my public school friends, because I had so many other places to make friends. Church, sports, art classes, 4-H, homeschooling groups, volunteer projects...it was great. And because I wasn't stuck in a classroom all day we had more fun hanging out.

Homeschool can offer a more varied and personal education. However, it does set your kid up to be entitled and less able to cope socially. I live in California. Kids make fun of homeschooled kids. They are babied, fussy and everything is “my Mommy this and my Mommy does it this way”. By 13 or 14, it is really obvious which kids have been homeschooled. They just don’t have the life experience, social skills or maturity public school kids have. They may get into Harvard, but they will be at high risk for not fitting in. They do not have experience to adjust and expect all the attention. Often, homeschooled kids have a sense of superiority because they have not had to by sympathetic or empathetic to fellow classmates, group projects, etc.

Home schooling - Pros: you have more control over what your child learns, the people around your child and you know where they are at all times. Cons: may not be socialized enough which could result in lack of friends and self-confidence.

Public schooling - Pros: socialization, exposure to more school-based activities (i.e. band, sports, etc.) Cons: you do not know exactly what you child is learning, doing or being exposed to. With more and more school violence, I think home-schooling is on the rise.

• tanner

Homeschooling is for lazy parents & children. Parents use it as a way to not have to get a real job, & go on vacations/do their own thing, sleep in. I know teaching takes work, but parents do it for pride in themselves, not to really help their children. I know a few of families who home-school, most of them sleep in, get to do school work in pjs, only do around 2 hrs of actual work, are done with school by the afternoon, go on a lot of vacations (thus missing school time). There's a lot of structure, etc missing. I know work needs to be turned in etc, but it's not the same as taking a test in school or participating with the class, or having to actually get up & ready & attend something like everyone else. Yes, you can socialize in other ways, but children are missing out on other things like school dances. I personally look down on home-schooled kids & their parents, a lot of them are smart, but it's just doesn't take the same dedication & structure as being in a classroom environment. I feel homeschooling is an easy way out of having to buckle down & do some "real work" & "real attendance" & "real participation" etc etc etc