Identifying unknown household products in chem lab?

I have to identify 6 unknown household products. The six products are Salt Substitute, sugar, saltpetre, Vitamin C, cornstarch and tums. I have found the active ingredients in each product but I do not know how to go about testing them to find out which is which except for a solubility test. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer

Hi Tyler Babin,.

I am french (Boulogne sur mer 62200 - FRANCE)

Salt contains chloride Cl(-) ions which can be identified with a solution of Silver Nitrate.

It then gets a white of AgCl silver chloride precipitate which darkens light.

Sugar with acid, goes to hydrolyze and turn into glucose and fructose. In conducting the Fehling's test, is then obtained a characteristic orange precipitate of this functional group in glucose.

The presence of nitrate NO3(-) ions contained in the saltpetre can be highlighted by placing a piece of copper Cu in saltpeter solution which will have added a bit of sulphuric acid solution. It then gets red fumes.

A solution of vitamin C can be tested with a colored flag to take an acid hue.

Cornstarch is tested in the presence of iodine water that takes a bluish-black color.

Tums? I don't know what it is!

I hope to have answered your question.

.

These would all be safe to taste, so that's another way. Also, color or crystalline structures? Gas chromatography? They might also burn at different colors or melt at different temperatures. Hope this helped.