I'm a redneck but not racist would it be wrong to fly the rebel flag?

pretty much just what i said up there ^ Some people say that if you fly the rebel flag its sayin your racists which i'm not i don wana give the wrong impression on people.

Favorite Answer

By the "the rebel flag" do you mean one of the several flags of the Confederate States of America? There is nothing racist about that unless you are trying to make a racist statement in which case you are insulting the rest of us Sons and Daughters of the South. There is nothing racist about any of the flags used by the CSA.

Please note : everyone is racist whether they admit it or not. I always suspect people who qualify their words by claiming not to be racist. There is no reason to qualify yourself as "redneck but not racist" as this would imply that redneck and racist are somehow related.

• Mercer

That flag is not a racist flag. Your only racist if you are racist. Those symbols have been used by the wrong people the confederate flag and swastika. We shouldn't hold these symbols hostage to the past. The n word should not make white people feel hostage either. We should be free to express our selves, that is freedom. Long as you support your country and are a patriot you can be free. Influence from others can be strong so we have to make our own judgments in our lives.

Personally, I think it's a very cool looking flag, and I'm not surprised many Southerners still like flying it. However, it has come to be connected with racism. I wouldn't fly it if I were in your shoes, just out of respect.

It's not like wearing a swastika, of course. It's not the same thing at all. But it sort of falls into the same sort of category, so I would suggest not flying it.

However, you can still be very proud of your southern heritage by reading and learning more about the south's role in the war and the great accomplishments in literature and other contributions to the U.S. and the world that came out of the South, like Mark Twain.

• ShyOwl

Got enough dam flags flying now, don't need another one..

its only racist if you're racist, basically. its a sign of the south, and is considered racist, but it can be flown without you meaning it to be racist.

not at all