when did madonna adopt her first child?

please add any details.what year,why she did,the process,etc.

thank you:)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Tim H
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

On October 10, 2006, she filed adoption papers for a boy from an orphanage, David Banda Mwale. He was later renamed David Banda Mwale Ciccone Ritchie. The adoption raised strong public reaction, because Malawian law requires would-be parents to reside in Malawi for one year before adopting, which Madonna did not do. She addressed this on The Oprah Winfrey Show, saying that there were no written adoption laws in Malawi that regulated foreign adoption. She described how Banda had been suffering from pneumonia after surviving malaria and tuberculosis when she first met him. Banda's biological father, Yohane commented, "These so-called human rights activists are harassing me every day, threatening me that I am not aware of what I am doing... They want me to support their court case, a thing I cannot do for I know what I agreed with Madonna and her husband." The adoption was finalized on May 28, 2008.

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • 4 years ago

Madonna Adopt

• RoVale
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Except when she decided to adopt a little girl, she hadn't been to Malawi since adopting David. By then, David had largely forgotten his native language and an interpreter had to be brought in when he saw his father for the first time in three years.

• 1 decade ago

June 2009 was announced the adoption went thru.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.