Why do Americans believe that Mexican legal and illegal immigrants don't contribute to the United States?
Ok, many of you think that Mexican immigration in all forms doesn't contribute to the United States and they refuse to learn English. What do you say about the following list of notable Mexican-Americans that came here as immigrants.
General Richard E. Cavazos
Medal of Honor recipient, Roy Benevidez
* Bertrand Blanchard Acosta - Aviator, Fighter Pilot
* Lucian Adams - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Everett Alvarez Jr. - Navy LCdr/Pilot who endured 8.5 years in Vietnamese captivity and one of the longest periods as a U.S. prisoner of war (POW)
* David B. Barkley - Medal of Honor (World War I)
* Roy Benavidez - Medal of Honor (Vietnam War)
* Robert Cardenas - U.S. Air Force Brigadier General
* Richard E. Cavazos - first U.S. Army Hispanic 4-star general, Distinguished Service Cross (Korea and Vietnam)
* Kathlene Contres - U.S. Navy
* Ralph Ellis Dias - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Daniel Fernandez - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* José María Flores - General and Governor of Alta California (Mexican American War)
* Guy Gabaldon - Navy Cross recipient, credited with capturing (or persuading to surrender) about 1,500 Japanese soldiers and civilians during the Battle of Saipan (World War II)
* Marcario Garcia - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Emilio A. De La Garza - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Edward Gomez- Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* David M. Gonzales(1923–1945) - Medal of Honor (World War II) First in Los Angeles
* Alfredo Cantu Gonzalez - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Freddy Gonzalez - Medal of Honor, KIA in Huế (Vietnam)
* Harold Gonsalves - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Ricardo Sanchez - United States Army General & Author
* Ambrosio Guillen- Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Rodolfo P. Hernandez - Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Silvestre S. Herrera - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Edward Hidalgo - former Secretary of the Navy
* Jose F. Jimenez - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Miguel Keith - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Felix Z. Longoria, Jr. - first Mexican American buried in Arlington National Cemetery (World War II)
* Jose M. Lopez- Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Nicolas Lucero - French Croix de guerre (World War I)
* Louis Gonzaga Mendez Jr. - West Point Graduate, Distinguished Service Medal (World War II)
* Benito Martinez - Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Joe P. Martinez - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Louis Gonzaga Mendez, Jr. - highly decorated Colonel, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment (World War II)
* Francisco Mercado, Jr. - Distinguished Service Cross
* Eugene A. Obregon- Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Rafael Peralta - Navy Cross (Operation Iraqi Freedom)
* Oscar F. Perdomo - United States Air Force Flying ace (World War II)
* Manuel Perez Jr. - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Lori Piestewa(1973–2003) - the first woman in the U.S. armed forces killed in the 2003 Iraq war
* Alfred V. Rascon - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Louis R. Rocco - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Cleto Rodriguez - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Joseph C. Rodriguez - Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Alejandro R. Ruiz - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Ricardo Sanchez- Retired Lieutenant General (Operation Iraqi Freedom)
* Marcelino Serna - Distinguished Service Cross (World War I)
* France Silva - Medal of Honor (Boxer Rebellion)
* Eugene Suarez - U.S. Marine, war photographer, World War II and Korea
* Jose F. Valdez - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Eugene A. Valencia, Jr. - Flying Ace (World War II), Navy Cross
* Alfred Valenzuela -Major General, United States Army
* Jay R. Vargas - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Ysmael R. Villegas - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Maximo Yabes - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Albert Baez - physicist and professor, developed the X-ray microscope
* Elsa Salazar Cade - science educator and entomologist
* Victor Celorio - Inventor of Instabook or Book On Demand 
* France A. Córdova - former NASA Chief Scientist
* Henry Eyring - theoretical chemist, writer, and recipient of the National Medal of Science award
* Sidney M. Gutierrez - former astronaut
* Jose Hernández (astronaut) - astronaut
* Robert Navarro - NASA project manager for the ER-2 high-altitude, long-range flying laboratories at Dryden.
* Ellen Ochoa - astronaut, director for flight crew operations for NASA
* John D. Olivas - NASA astronaut
* Eloy Rodriguez - biochemist, professor at Cornell University
* Ted Taylor - physicist and nuclear weapons designer
* Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa, M.D. - Associate Professor of Neurosurgery and Oncology. Director of the Brain Tumor Stem Cell Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University and brain surgeon at John
* Miguel Almaguer - TV Reporter 
* Ron Arias - Highly Regarded Chicano Writer & Correspondent
* Gustavo Arellano - an editor at the Los Angeles Times and writer/creator of ¡Ask a Mexican!
* Jim Avila - TV Journalist & Correspondent
* María Antonieta Collins - TV Host, Journalist, & Author
* Laura Diaz - Southern California Newscaster & Co-Anchor of CBS 2 News
* Giselle Fernández - TV Journalist & Reporter
* Luis De La Garza - TV & Radio Host
* Christy Haubegger - Movie Producer & Founder of Latina Magazine
* Maria Hinojosa - Broadcast Journalist & Correspondent
* Raul Peimbert - Spanish-language TV Journalist & Newscaster
* John Quiñones - News correspondent, and an Award winning Journalist
* Jorge Ramos - Spanish-language TV News Anchor & Journalist
* Naibe Reynoso - TV Journalist & Reporter
* Rubén Salazar - TV Journalist & Reporter
* María Elena Salinas - Spanish-Language TV News Anchor & Journalist
Romualdo Pacheco Governor of California
Romana Acosta Bañuelos
* Toney Anaya - US Democratic Politician & Former Governor of New Mexico
* Ernesto Ruffo Appel - Politician & Former Governor of Baja California
* Romana Acosta Bañuelos - former Treasurer of the United States
* Mike Aguirre - former city attorney of San Diego, California
* Xavier Becerra - U.S. Representative (CA-31)
* Cruz Bustamante - former California lieutenant governor
* Raul Hector Castro - governor of Arizona
* Anna Escobedo Cabral - 42nd Treasurer of the United States
* Rosemary Barkett - federal judge
* Lauro Cavazos - secretary of education
* Gabe Cazares - former mayor of Clearwater, Florida
* Dennis Chavez - U.S. Senator from New Mexico
* Henry Cisneros - former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development and mayor of San Antonio, Texas
* Mario Gallegos, Jr. - Texas state senator
16 hours ago
Romualdo Pacheco Governor
By the way many came here with their parents who crossed the border illegally and some even came themselves illegally, while other came here legally.
- Anonymous9 years agoFavorite Answer
Why do you keep making bigoted statements without supporting them???
- Joe FridayLv 49 years ago
How many of the folks you listed are illegal immigrants? No one has a problem with legal immigrants. I am sure the basis of your arguments is a fair chance at a good life. How fair is it that a person spends years attaining a legal resident status while others choose to bypass it, yet suffer no penalties?
- KMcGLv 79 years ago
Excuse me but why are you lumping citizens and legal immigrants together with criminals. Those Americans of Mexican descent who you've listed were or are legal residents of the US. And some of those you list as Mexican -Americans are not they are people with Hispanic last names and are of Spanish descent. Seems to me that you are the one who is confused about what the issue really is.
- Rebel AllianceLv 79 years ago
You're trying to make this a race issue, it's about being a criminal and coming here illegally and coming to this country legally. All those people are citizens, not illegals.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 9 years ago
Well there's something called a sterotype. Most Americans view that Hispanics are "idiotic" and just a plain nuisance to the U.S. If you've seen Family Guy, the Hispanic immigrants are portrayed as illiterate, stupid, etcetc.
You CANNOT place legal and illegals together.
- TheOnlyBeldinLv 79 years ago
Once again, someone feels the need to lump legals and illegals together, as if not understanding that there's a big difference between the two.
- casually defiantLv 69 years ago
hahahaha an illegal was a governor..thats almost as sad as sayin obama was born in kenya
- Flying CarLv 69 years ago
Well legal immigration is ok but people seem to not under stand what ILLEGAL means.
- 9 years ago
Why do you cling to points you know you cannot support without LYING?
We "have a problem" with CRIMINALS. I'm not sure why YOU equate "criminal" and "Mexican."
Of those on your list, how many were criminal infiltrators? Yeah. None that I know of, either.
- Anonymous9 years ago
Because most white Americans are racist but too proud of themselves to admit it.Source(s): Watch this comment get thumbsed down like crazy