Is there a charity that supplies or replenishes buffalo or bison for Native Americans?

This Saturday 3/5/2011 my sister and I attended a Native American event at the Brooklyn Museum. A sign on one wall described the history of the American buffalo, or bison, upon which the Plains Indians depended, and which the 19th-century whites wiped out in order to defeat the natives. The sign said that... show more This Saturday 3/5/2011 my sister and I attended a Native American event at the Brooklyn Museum. A sign on one wall described the history of the American buffalo, or bison, upon which the Plains Indians depended, and which the 19th-century whites wiped out in order to defeat the natives.

The sign said that today, Native and non-Native Americans are trying to replenish the buffalo on Indian reservations, to provide cultural pride, economic stability, and artistic inspiration. That "economic stability" especially got to me.

Do any charities solicit funds to help supply bison to the Natives? I know organizations like Heifer and Samaritan's Purse supply farm animals for impoverished people worldwide, but I'm not sure they do it here at home. Which organizations are replenishing the buffalo to help reservation Indians?