Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Is it OK to run an illegal library from my locker at school?

Let me explain.

I go to a private school that is rather strict. Recently, the principal and school teacher council released a (very long) list of books we're not allowed to read. I was absolutely appalled, because a large number of the books were classics and others that are my favorites. One of my personal favorites, The Catcher in the Rye, was on the list, so I decided to bring it to school to see if I would really get in trouble. Well... I did but not too much. Then (surprise!) a boy in my English class asked if he could borrow the book, because he heard it was very good AND it was banned! This happened a lot and my locker got to overflowing with the banned books, so I decided to put the unoccupied locker next to me to a good use. I now have 62 books in that locker, about half of what was on the list. I took care only to bring the books with literary quality. Some of these books are:

>The Perks of Being a Wallflower

>His Dark Materials trilogy

>Sabriel

>The Canterbury Tales

>Candide

>The Divine Comedy

>Paradise Lost

>The Godfather

>Mort

>Interview with the Vampire

>The Hunger Games

>The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

>A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

>Animal Farm

>The Witches

>Shade's Children

>The Evolution of Man

> the Holy Qu'ran

... and lots more.

Anyway, I now operate a little mini-library that no one has access to but myself. Practically a real library, because I keep an inventory log and give people due dates and everything. I would be in so much trouble if I got caught, but I think it's the right thing to do because before I started, almost no kid at school but myself took an active interest in reading! Now not only are all the kids reading the banned books, but go out of their way to read anything they can get their hands on. So I'm doing a good thing, right? Oh, and since you're probably wondering Why can't you just go to a local library and check out the books? most of the kids are too chicken or their parents won't let them but the books. I think that people should have open minds. Most of the books were banned because they contained information that opposed Catholisism. I limit my 'library' to only the sophmores, juniors and seniors just in case so you can't say I'm exposing young people to materiel they're not mature enough for. But is what I'm doing wrong because parents and teachers don't know about it and might not like it, or is it a good thing because I am starting appreciation of the classics and truly good novels (Not just fad novels like Twilight) in my generation?

Favorite Answer

I applaud your efforts. One of the most common tools of oppression is keeping the population ignorant. I'm not sure how this "school" you describe can be called a place of education when so much information is being kept away. People should have access to all points of view and then form their own points of view.

But you also need to be prepared to defend your actions. Many a celebrated hero was viewed as a villain in his own day. Don't let that discourage you.

• Jess

Any way you can get kids to read is good. I think there is a possibility you can get in trouble at school for violating policy but I think what you are doing is amazing and very smart. If you understand the risks and are prepared to defend your rights I say keep on doing what your doing, you never know you might just end up changing policy at you school!... and for the guy down there who said you didnt have a license and were charging money he needs to read a little better himself. You dont cahrge late fees and they are you own personal books so you dont need a merchants license. Good job and Good Luck.

I think it's a good thing to do, and I agree you should start making a speech in your mind about why you did it and the effects of it, and YEAAAAA! GO CATHOLICS!

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Totally. But, be prepared to be caught. Think of a speech when you go to the head ;)

yes.

you don't have a license & you are accepting payment from illegal gains.

Source(s): 65 years young