Looking for Apartment within 30-45 min to Boston and 15 min. walk to pub. trans. What areas should I look at?

My boyfriend and I are moving to MA in June, we'll be lining up jobs beforehand-- me as a nanny and him either in para legal or security. Here's what's going on, I have a car so parking has to exist, he will be using public transportation--bus, train, doesn't matter, just so long as it's within 15 min walk for him to access. We're looking at 1-2 bedroom apartments NO studios, $800 a month and anywhere within 30-45 minutes to Boston.

I don't know the areas well enough to know where to stay away from, and where is safe. I don't want to be afraid to drive home at night or go out at night and come in late. I also don't know all the areas within 30-45 minutes of Boston that fit the price point ($800 is tight, I know, but it is what it is). Heres where we've been looking: Needham, Dedham, Quincy, Roslindale, Medford, Lynn, Somerville, Chelsea, Weymouth, Jamaica Plains. I KNOW there are more areas, please clue me in.

Can you tell me what areas are within 30-45 min and also where to look--remember I'm in NH so I have to be able to see the apartment before setting up a viewing so newspapers really aren't helpful. I know there are wonderful resources online but the ones I've found haven't been too helpful.

Favorite Answer

You can't find a 1-2 bedroom in most those areas for $800 a month. It is impossible, even finding a studio would be difficult. Your best chance would be in Revere (Blue Line) and Lynn. Lynn has some nice areas, but it also has some very sketchy areas. Even then, you're going to be looking at slum apartments, you cannot get anything decent for that price and be close to Boston.

Stay away from Chelsea, Dorchester, Mattapan, Savin Hill, Roxbury. There are nice streets in those places, but there are also really bad areas as well, sometimes only a block from a "nice" area.

Other places you can try are Malden, Everett, and Winthrop. Generally speaking, the areas next to Boston to the North (Malden, Everett, Revere, etc.) are less expensive than the South/West (Newton, Brookline, etc.)

Your best hope would be to look at somewhere like Lowell and have him take the commuter rail in, which is an hour ride. However, even that would cost you. You could find an $800 apt, but the fare for the commuter rail is $300 a month.

Other places that * might * have apts. in your price range and near the commuter rail would be Waltham, Woburn, and Haverhill.

Otherwise, you need to consider a studio or roommates.

In summary, you are simply not going to find a 1-2 bedroom for $800 in a decent area with a 35 minute commute to Boston, unless you don't mind taking the commuter rail, and then you need to budget $200+ a month for commuter rail fare.

Finding a one or 2 bedroom apartment for $ 800 in the Boston area will be practically impossible. None of the places you mention are comparatively dangerous; Somerville, Medford, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale and Chelsea have the best public transportation. Try Malden also.

Do not walk alone in Lynn, Chelsea, or Jamaica Plains. Try Quincy, Hull, Braintree, Weymouth, Cambridge.