Why Canadian government does not help homeless people in Vancouver?

I had a chance to drove to Vancouver from Calgary. honestly i was expecting some thing really outstanding from the "best city to live in", but the moment i entered the city, i was highly disappointed to see so many homeless people lined up, some begging for food and some for money. i thought the... show more I had a chance to drove to Vancouver from Calgary. honestly i was expecting some thing really outstanding from the "best city to live in", but the moment i entered the city, i was highly disappointed to see so many homeless people lined up, some begging for food and some for money.
i thought the welfare system in canada is one of the best in the world besides Scandinavian countries, then how come the govvernement does not provide food and shelter to those people and other poor who are all over canada, few i saw in toronto as well. are nt the citizen responsibility of the Canadian government.

please dont take me wrong. I really love canada, one of the best country in the world. but i was researching on the welfare system of canada.

please do not make fun of vancouver or toronto. its just a simple question without any other judgements.
Update: thank you all so much for quite informative and moreover all the serious answers. Indeed the Canadians are more groomed, tolerable and educated, i can see that from all the answers. my next question would be how we as a responsible canadian citizens can contribute/play our part to minimize, if not completely finish... show more thank you all so much for quite informative and moreover all the serious answers. Indeed the Canadians are more groomed, tolerable and educated, i can see that from all the answers. my next question would be how we as a responsible canadian citizens can contribute/play our part to minimize, if not completely finish poverty in canada
a) with the help of authorities/government
b) without their help
Update 2: these report give factual information on the official statistics of homeless in vancouver only. quite interesting
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/housing/pdf/VancouverHomelessCount2010.pdf