what is the difference between farsi,dari,persian,and pashto?

im from pakistan and i talk in urdu and some words in urdu are based off of farsi

and some if my friends from pakistan talk fluently in pashto but i was wondering what is really the difference between these languages? i mean i thought farsi and persian and dari were the same thing

im confused

:)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well Pashto is a a distinct and separate language, spoken by the Pashtun ethnic group of Afghanistan and north western Pakistan. It is considered to be a branch of an Iranian language but it has very distinct and unique features of its own. Urdu/Hindi was constructed and formulated as such during the reign of the Mughals to be the lingua franca of the territories east of the Indus. Farsi (which is Persian in Persian, as opposed to Farsi being Persian in English) was the language spoken amongst the rulers and in the courts during the reign of the Mughals. Dari is Afghan Persian. It resembles regular Persian or Farsi but has some distinct features of its own. Tajik is another separate variety of Farsi spoken by the Tajik ethnic group of Afghanistan and Tajikistan. Tajik, Dari and Faris are all almost completely intelligible while Pashto is distinct. Think of the differences between the different varieties of English which are spoken in the US, or better yet the difference between British and American English. The vocab is the same, sometimes some references and terminologies may differ.

Source(s): I can speak Persian and Pashto.
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is the difference between farsi,dari,persian,and pashto?

im from pakistan and i talk in urdu and some words in urdu are based off of farsi

and some if my friends from pakistan talk fluently in pashto but i was wondering what is really the difference between these languages? i mean i thought farsi and persian and dari were the same thing

im confused

:)

Source(s): difference farsi dari persian pashto: https://bitly.im/XbO7g
  • busbee
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Dari Persian

• Massy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Farsi & Persian are same languages. Native Iranian call it Farsi while Persian is the English equivalent for it. Dari is a dialect of Persian language but Pashto is a language itself.

Source(s): Native Iranian
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mauri
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awYAy

A good man is charasmatic a strong, rational, independent leader, who is a natural fighter and lover, he is good at solving mechanical problems and is a strong athlete who can handle a lot of psychological stress, he's his own man, not conforming to bs and not having much ego. A good woman is energetic, fun, loving and above all caring, she's a supporter and motivator, she is real and doesn't try to be anything but, she is very understanding and easy to talk to while most men are not strong sympathisers in this manner, so if you have a problem and want more than the be rational and calm explanation she can really help you out. Finally, she is completely wholesome, this includes her willingness within the bedroom ;)

• 9 years ago

Let's first establish that Pashto is a unique language. While it is closely related to Farsi, Dari, and Tajik (all of these are part of the greater "Persian" language, but we'll get to this later), it is not mutually intelligible. Your friends speak Pashto because there are so many Pashtuns in Pakistan (especially in the NW Frontier Provinces and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa).

The relationship between Farsi, Dari, and Tajik (though you didn't mention it, it's relevant to the question) is a bit nebulous. All three are considered forms of the Persian Language (I tend to only use the term "Persian" to refer to the language in its broadest sense, while some use it to refer to the language of Iran specifically), and are mutually intelligible to a great extent. As you know, Persian language and culture has had a great influence on Pakistan (and India, for that matter), leading to the use of so many Persian words in Urdu. There are plenty of Persian-derived words in Hindi too, though most of them were filtered through Urdu.

There is some debate as to whether Farsi, Dari, and Tajik are actually three distinct languages, or just dialects of a larger language (Persian). They're generally classed as individual languages, if solely for political reasons. Just like with Hindi and Urdu (and, to a lesser extent, Bihari), the differences between the three are mostly superficial lexical deviations, and the fact that Tajik is customarily written in the Cyrillic alphabet. The grammatical structures and morphology, however, are nearly identical across the three languages, and a speaker of one is likely to understand a speaker of one of the other two, though he probably wouldn't be able to replicate the language too effectively.

One of the other issues regarding the difference between Farsi and Persian on a grander scale is purely political. As you may know, in the 1930's, Reza Shah Pahlavi requested that western governments stop referring to he country now called Iran as "Persia", since that is a foreign word, derived from Greek, whereas the word "Iran" is actually of Persian origin. Like Iran, "Farsi" is the native Persian equivalent of the Greek-derived name westerners tended (and still tend to) use for the language. I prefer to use the word "Farsi" to refer specifically to the form of Persian spoken in Iran (and this is probably the most correct way of using it-- people in Afghanistan and Tajikistan certainly do not speak "Farsi"), just as I would not use Dari to refer to the Persian spoken in Tajikistan, or Tajik to refer to Iranian Persian. It's alright to think of these three terms as names for different dialects of the Persian language, as their status as separate languages is very much political in nature.

The difference can be quite confusing, but just know that Dari, Farsi, and Tajik are essentially the same language ("Persian") and that the different names are generally used due to political reasons. It certainly can't be said that you're wrong in thinking that they are the same thing.

Source(s): Linguistics student
  • sabra
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

What Is Farsi

• Rose
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

You can't compare a man to a woman. Each is different. But a man, and a woman, complement each other. In other words, one man and one woman (together) is one unit. They are a complementary pair.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

theres no difference its all ****

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.