The nature of awareness is seldom given much discussion in Christianity. Why is that?

There are many pages devoted to it in Buddhist scholarship, such as the great writings of Alan Wallace.

Favorite Answer

The distinction which you hint is the way that Eastern cultures speak often of the non-Self, or the idea of an ego-less awareness. A few Western writers such as Eckart Tolle have written about pure awareness, which transcends the ego obsessions of most religions. There is still a Self in Christianity which interacts on different levels with a Deity. Perhaps only the Catholic mystics come close to this pure awareness, where one is obliterated in the presence of the "Absolute Reality." And that is the best place where you should look for counterparts to the Buddhist way of thinking.

I have been a meditator for many years and I find that reaching a state of pure awareness, one in which even the "knower" drops away, brings with it an intense sense of freedom and even bliss.

I encourage you to pursue this quest further.

Catholic masters of Christian spirituality such as Augustine of Hippo, Thomas A Kempis and jacques Philippe ( to name just 3)spend much on awareness and self-knowledge and detaqchment and persuit of self -honesty and pursuit of peace of mind

nicely, Creationists are somewhat embarassing ... in spite of the particular undeniable fact that that's a minority. yet different than for that, i think of its using fact of one or 2 historic episodes the place some christians gave the impression to be on the non-scientific section. a million) some christians initially have been arguing against Darwinism (Creationists nevertheless do, yet they seem to be a minority) 2) The catholic church initially adversarial Galileo for his "new-fangled" techniques relating to the photograph voltaic device What has handed off is that the countless christian behaviour in those episodes seems very backward, idiotic, even somewhat oppressive contained in the Galileo case. So what you have have been given is Atheists very emotionally committed to Athiesm, perchance many no longer somewhat worried approximately accuracy in historic arguments. some are very bitter. So those previous episodes make christians seem so undesirable, that they have got an inclination to communicate of them lots, and concentration on them lots, fairly than making an uncomplicated appraisal. it rather is like politicians, and positively like a number of our yahoo disputations - human beings are keen to win the argument, so arise with the stuff that makes the different section seem undesirable and idiotic. Telling them that James Clerk-Maxwell and Faraday have been very committed christians does not subsequently glue of their minds, it rather is evidence they do no longer opt to look at; except of course they try to be impartial. yet human beings are often creatures of thoughts and prejudices.

I may not know quite what you are referring. But I can tell you this. Self-awareness begins with God who is capable of knowing and loving Himself. For me as a creature, "I am, therefore, I exist" precedes but leads to our ability to determine the existence of this one God. We soon learn that our own self-awareness has its author in this one self-aware God. And since Christianity is based upon a Trinitarian God, the self-awareness of God becomes the very foundation in formulating the Trinity. As I said, you may be referring to something else based upon the writings of Wallace, but you would think "I am,therefore, I exist" still has to be the starting point anyway.

Because the Christian religion was founded by idiot unenlightened people. Christianity is totally superficial and unreal.

God didn't put it in the Bible so there ya have it.