is the glow plug controller and glow plug relay the same thing?

my glow plug light wont turn on in my 6.2 diesel. I read that it is the glow plug controller .. i looked on ebay and it says a glow plug controller relay. Is it the same thing?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Ecko
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The glow plug controller is a timer that operates a solenoid (high current relay) in the engine compartment. This switches the high current to the glow plugs for preheating. The relay is so the high current needed will be in short thick wires that don't come back through the cab. It may be that an electromechanical relay (part of the timer) is used to operate the solenoid. The controller can be replaced by a manual momentary action switch that you just hold operated for long enough. It operates the solenoid, substituting for the timer (controller). Generally it is only for colder weather - if it starts ok then preheat is not needed at all. Where I live car engine and bigger diesels never need preheat.

The link below has a bit about this. Search for "6.2 diesel glow plug controller" and there are plenty of hits.

• Login to reply the answers
  • goober
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It depends on the engine. The relay is the part that switches the current to the glow plugs. The controller is the "smarts" that decides if the glow plugs should be switched on. The two functions may be separate or combined in a single unit.

• bigger
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Glow Plug Solenoid

• 4 years ago

What does the relay switch sound like

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.