Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 years ago

Just as I completed a budget for a fiber optic communications start-up company, the idea of doing a wireless b?

Just as I completed a budget for a fiber optic communications start-up company, the idea of doing a wireless business model was introduced. I have some compare and contrast questions if I may.

Questions:

1. How would you compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of fiber optic vs. wireless? (While I don’t know much, I am aware that fiber is used to get to the wireless tower.)

2. I need to know construction cost comparisons and time-to-complete comparisons (maybe not the specific dollar amounts as they may vary but maybe on a percentage basis one alternative is typically x% more costly to build than the other and/or x% more time consuming to complete that the other alternative).

3. Are engineering, permitting and any other pre-construction activities more costly or time consuming with fiber vs. wireless?

4. Compare and contrast annual maintenance costs for buried fiber vs. wireless.

5. Compare and contrast relocation costs for buried fiber vs. wireless.

6. Compare and contrast annual engineering, technician, installer, tester headcount and costs for buried fiber vs. wireless. How many heads per function for x number of sales per month of $6k or more per customer per month over a 5 or 10 year sales contract?

7. While wireless is encrypted, does wireless constitute a private network satisfying HIPAA and SOX the way fiber does?

8. For customers such as school districts, local/county/state governments, hospitals, and businesses, compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of fiber vs. wireless.

9. Operating as a CLEC, compare and contrast gross margin and net income for fiber and wireless for a customer base comprised of school districts, local/county/state governments, hospitals, and businesses where we own the fiber or wireless vs. where we buy circuits from the fiber owner (or wireless owner?).

10. What is the appropriate depreciable life of wireless assets? (for my fiber business model I used a 20 year life to depreciate the buried fiber). Is the tower depreciated over a different time frame than the fiber running to the tower?

11. What is the future demand for and obsolescence of fiber and wireless?

12. What are some high quality industry sources comparing and contrasting the advantages and disadvantages of fiber vs. wireless?

Many Thanks!!!

Re Homework: I'm a newbie to the fiber/tech world and have questions I am trying to learn the answers to. As soon as I completed a budget for fiber I had a meeting in which wireless was brought up as an alternative to the (implied) more costly construction costs of fiber. If you or others have fiber or wireless experience, would appreciate any constructive input you have. Thank you in advance.

• Andy
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like homework.

IMO, you are not going to get detailed or particularly knowlegable answers here. If you have a budget, hire a consultant.

Random thoughts:

1. Wireless is short-distance, fibre is good for long-haul and has more potential bandwidth, and is more reliable.

In terms of service to end-users, wireless is much more convenient. Fibre currently needs special equipment and skilled technicians to terminate properly.

Not sure if you mean 802.11 wifi or 3G/4G cellular. We may start running into spectrum availability issues - I mean, there is only so much wireless spectrum available in a given location

10. I think your 20year depreciation time is way too long. Tech advances may make your buried assets worthless. Although in theory a good single-mode fibre ought to be future-proofed because upgrading the electronics can gain much more bandwidth, in the past multimode fibre was supplanted by single-mode within a few years.

As far as I can see, most companies do not own towers or fibre, but lease them from someone else.

• whary

No unusually, i replaced into wondering that it replaced right into somewhat useless this evening. possibly i'm somewhat drained or possibly i'm lacking She's questions or Kirtsy's puds. i don't understand. No disrespect to you and absolutely everyone else obtainable.