Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 9 years ago

Just as I completed a budget for a fiber optic communications start-up company, the idea of doing a wireless b?

Just as I completed a budget for a fiber optic communications start-up company, the idea of doing a wireless business model was introduced. I have some compare and contrast questions if I may.

Questions:

1. How would you compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of fiber optic vs. wireless? (While I don’t know much, I am aware that fiber is used to get to the wireless tower.)

2. I need to know construction cost comparisons and time-to-complete comparisons (maybe not the specific dollar amounts as they may vary but maybe on a percentage basis one alternative is typically x% more costly to build than the other and/or x% more time consuming to complete that the other alternative).

3. Are engineering, permitting and any other pre-construction activities more costly or time consuming with fiber vs. wireless?

4. Compare and contrast annual maintenance costs for buried fiber vs. wireless.

5. Compare and contrast relocation costs for buried fiber vs. wireless.

6. Compare and contrast annual engineering, technician, installer, tester headcount and costs for buried fiber vs. wireless. How many heads per function for x number of sales per month of $6k or more per customer per month over a 5 or 10 year sales contract?

7. While wireless is encrypted, does wireless constitute a private network satisfying HIPAA and SOX the way fiber does?

8. For customers such as school districts, local/county/state governments, hospitals, and businesses, compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of fiber vs. wireless.

9. Operating as a CLEC, compare and contrast gross margin and net income for fiber and wireless for a customer base comprised of school districts, local/county/state governments, hospitals, and businesses where we own the fiber or wireless vs. where we buy circuits from the fiber owner (or wireless owner?).

10. What is the appropriate depreciable life of wireless assets? (for my fiber business model I used a 20 year life to depreciate the buried fiber). Is the tower depreciated over a different time frame than the fiber running to the tower?

11. What is the future demand for and obsolescence of fiber and wireless?

12. What are some high quality industry sources comparing and contrasting the advantages and disadvantages of fiber vs. wireless?

Many Thanks!!!