Jesus Dying God Archetype?

For a college presentation I have been assigned Jesus as the Dying God Archetype

My question what makes the story of Jesus a Dying God Archetype?

My group is having a lot of trouble with this hence this being my third question..... only difference is I was officially assigned Jesus so now I need more information as to WHY he is part of the achetype

Wow you all for the most part are jerks!! we dont have an actual definition of dying god archetype we are kinda guessing with what we have found on the internet so dont be a smart *** about it

Best Answer

In ancient mythologies, the 'dying god' archetype was seen normally as a healthy young man in the prime of his life who gives up his existence in order to benefit his clan/culture/society/the world.

In this context, the story of Jesus fits perfectly with all the other mythologies, especially those of Mithra, Dionysus, and Horus. If you have not checked into Those myths, it would be a good thing to do because then it is easy to see the similarities between those stories and the stories of Jesus.

Hope this has been helpful.

An archetype is an original model of a person, ideal example, or a prototype upon which others are copied, patterned, or emulated; a symbol universally recognized by all.

So, the question is:

"What makes the story of Jesus an example of a dying god from which all others are copied or patterned after."

The answer is: "It is not."

What other religion or god is modeled on a dying god at all? None that I can think of.

If the question is, why does the mythology have Jesus die, it is because they wanted the character to be a martyr.

Had Jesus not been killed in the story, but instead lived to an old age and died of cancer or natural causes, or even by an accident or tornado or hurricane, then he wouldn't have been a martyr, and his death would not be able to be turned in to something that could be used to push the religion.

In other words, if no one killed Jesus, he would have been screwed big time!

If you have the definition of the Dying God Archetype, why on earth would you have any trouble fitting Jesus into it?

Mythologically speaking:

Was he depicted as a god? Yes.

Was he sacrificed for a purpose, usually of healing? Yes.

Was he killed in the spring? Yes.

Did he actually die? Yes.

Was he reborn? Yes, which is why death in the spring is important, signifying renewal.

How can you not fit this into that archetype?

I'd say he's a dying god archetype because he's said to be the son of God, and his death is an important part of his story.