Should I refrigerate a whipped cream & fondant cake?

I know the rule of thumb is to usually never refrigerate fondant because it bubbles leaks & can be a plain sloppy mess. But heres the thing, Ive also heard that a cake frosted with whipped cream frosting should always be refrigerated. I bought a cake with whipped cream frosting at the deli & Im going to be taking... show more I know the rule of thumb is to usually never refrigerate fondant because it bubbles leaks & can be a plain sloppy mess. But heres the thing, Ive also heard that a cake frosted with whipped cream frosting should always be refrigerated. I bought a cake with whipped cream frosting at the deli & Im going to be taking fondant and making an american flag and draping it over the cake for my soldiers welcome home party. Its not until tomorrow at 5pm but I wanted to get it decorated today because I have so much to do tomorrow. Im not sure if I should refrigerate it because the only fondant is laid across it and not completely covering the cake. But I dont want it to spoil either. HELP! lol
Update: @ivan dog Well Im not completely covering the cake with it, Its just going to be fondant make into an american flag draped over one corner of the cake. & Ive never heard of covering fondant with frosting. Usually you frost with a (non sweet) frosting or gumpaste & then form the fondant over it. Never in all my... show more @ivan dog
Well Im not completely covering the cake with it, Its just going to be fondant make into an american flag draped over one corner of the cake. & Ive never heard of covering fondant with frosting. Usually you frost with a (non sweet) frosting or gumpaste & then form the fondant over it. Never in all my years of cooking have I covered fondant with frosting. Fondant always goes on the outside, as the final layer.