Does a Soldier have to attend WLC?

Does a Soldier, if he or she is not planning on staying in (reenlisting) have to attend WLC? I have been told that a Soldier can refuse to go to WLC, and his leadership cannot force him or her to attend. If you are knowledgeable about this subject, please comment with your expertise.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

No, you are NOT required to attend WLC. WLC is not a requirement until a Soldier is looking at promoting to SSG/E6, it is no longer even required for SGT/E5. You can be promoted to SSG without WLC on a conditional basis and you incur a time limit in order to complete WLC before you are administratively reduced back to SGT.

This is straight out of AR 600-8-19 Enlisted Promotions and Reductions for those of you that are curious. It can be found on PDF page 22 at the bottom, or the first result when searching "WLC":

a. The Noncommissioned Officers Education System (NCOES) requirements for promotion. Soldier must be—

(1) A Warrior Leader Course (WLC) graduate or equivalent for recommendation to SSG (see para 1–27d).

(2) A Basic Noncommissioned Officer Course (BNCOC) graduate for consideration eligibility to SFC (see 1–27c).

(3) An Advanced Noncommissioned Officer Course (ANCOC) graduate for consideration eligibility to MSG (see 1–27c).

(4) A United States Army Sergeant Major Course (USASMC) graduate for promotion to SGM (see para 1–27b).

Source(s): SSG, MP

Wlc Requirements

you have to volunteer for any school in the military so technically no you dont have to attend. keep in mind there is a fine line between what they cant punish you for and what they can make your life a living hell for. hope you're ready for every **** detail and long tasking that comes down...

manifest: yeah your FOS. WLC didnt exist in 2003 it was still PLC then, and no they cannot reduce you in rank for not passing. also rain is correct: you ONLY need WLC if you're trying to hit e-6, and even then it can be waived due to deployment.

Yes, you can refuse. My company sends everyone to efmb twice regardless if they want to or not but one person spoke up last year and got out of it the first day because the Sgt Major heard about it. The only thing is... If you refuse to go to WLC... you look like a complete sh!t bag to your nco's and leaders. They all had to do it. But it's up to you.

yea, you can refuse to go, and they can take yoru SGT stripes back as well. Good luck female. ALL SGT go to WLC and must pass it or be stripped of their rank. Just like all E-6's and E-7's ahve to go to ANOC and BNOC or be stripped of their rank as well.

@Rain I disagree, I had my SGT's stripes at WLC and did not pass it, they where taken from me and I was a SPC (non-promotable) again, of course regs could have changed from 2003 when I had to RCP, for not getting promoted.

Still a SGT cannot be a SGT without all the leadership classes in WLC and the land nav. if they still have it, what a SGT is suppose to wing it until he gets SSG??? I totally think your interpretation of the REGS are wrong.

Go to school or loose your rank dear! and be back to SPC again have to go back to the board and all that jazz again. ya don't want to have to start over again do ya??? you only have so many years as a SPC and then they will discharge you for not gettiing promoted, unless thats what you want.

@Alex dah ex-soldier I know this, PLDC did!!! Like I did nto know this ****!!! I am calling it by the new name or the gal would have no idea what the hell I am talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if ya'all are right, I know they have leadership classes at WLC/PLDC and if they changed the REGS. and a new SGT does not have to attend this school until they are SSG that is ATE the **** up!!! No leadership classes until after they have been on how many tours and led how many soldiers, man the military has gone way down hill, dam what a ****** up military!!!! No wonder NCO's don;t know how to do their dam job anymore!!!!

ALEX WE ARE AT WAR IT IS STUPID TO SEND A SGT INTO WAR AND BE INCHARGE OF A PLT WHETHER SHE IS IN COMBAT OR NOT WHETHER YOU ARE EX-MILITARY OR NOT YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS, WHETHER SHE IS A RESERVIST OR NOT, SGT'S NEED TOBE TRAINED IN A WARTIME SITUATION!!!

Jani, just do what you got to do to get promoted and stop being LAZY SGT!!! Like the rest of these soldiers!!! As RAIN said"a. The Noncommissioned Officers Education System (NCOES) requirements for promotion. Soldier must be—

(1) A Warrior Leader Course (WLC) graduate or equivalent for recommendation to SSG (see para 1–27d)."

interpret it correctly or go to war and not know what the **** you are doing. First you complain they will not send you to the baord and then you don't want ot go to school to complete your trianing, ya know that is ate up soldier! Also if you wait to do WLC until you get SSG, you will have to do WLC and ANOC back to back. Or loose yoru rank and be a SPC again.

Make sure that you put everything in your counselings, ask the 1SG for help, or guidance, and if need be, use the open door policy to your commander or SGM.