How should I lessen the effects of my depression?

I had a complicated brain surgery before Christmas and was in the hospital for a month. During the surgery, there was blood clotting and I got a TBI (traumatic brain injury). I am supposed to see a neuropsychologist in April. I feel like it is going to be such a long wait though. I need help now. I'm thinking that I have MDD and should see a psychiatrist. I've been trying to walk my dog (get fresh air) when I'm not a rehab. I can't drive yet (so I can't see my friends back at school. I'm a college student)

Favorite Answer

It gets better trust me, I got a TBI about year ago and for about 6 months I was very depressed and suicidal and as time went on I got a lot better. Also since it is getting lighter and warmer out you will probably get less depressed. If things get worse you can always go to your DP and he will probably put you on drugs but just try waiting it out, it worked for me.

Also try taking up a hobby like photography or swimming that might help, and I know being with my dog helped me alot too.

p.s. if your going to a neuropsychologist for testing, it will be one of the hardest test you have EVER wrote like EVER

Source(s): 16 year old TBI survivor

Your "depression" is totally normal and to be expected given your traumatic health issues.

The best therapy for depression, aside from appropriate prescribed medication, is exercise. Walking your dog is terrific, great for you both.

Listening to music and spending time with friends is also important. Get on the phone or computer to your friends back at college, let them know how you are, ask what's happening.

It will take time to recover from your traumatic surgery, but being young is great for your recovery prospects.

Speak to your local doctor about your feelings, you don't have a "mental illness" as such, your depression is reactive.

All the best