Sean G
Lv 7
Sean G asked in SportsBoxing · 9 years ago

How will the NFL lockout affect boxing?

A) I just read that Bob Arum is making a big announcement if the lockout happens tomorrow.

B) The Baltimore Ravens safety Tom Zbikowski will box in a match if the lockout occurs on the Cotto/ Mayorga PPV card.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story...

C) Ray Edwards of the Vikings talked about going pro in boxing if there is a lockout.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/610300-how-ray-...

D) I have heard rumors of NY Giants Brandon Jacobs who is already connected with boxing fighting a pro bout if there is a lockout.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t...

E) Former Michigan State football player, Seth Mitchell, who is with Golden Boy...is fighting on the Alvarez/Hatton undercard Saturday.

Any thoughts?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

With Top Rank signing their new deal with Showtime and CBS who happens to have a large Football market we might see Boxing on network TV again and if its a Brandon Rios, Nonito Donare, Manny Pacqauio type of fighter it can only help the sport.

There won't be any football so maybe Americans can find the next great 230 pound DB who could make an amazing Heavyweight champion, well, maybe I'm pushing it but it was worth a try.

I like Football but I'm more of a hardcore Boxing and Basketball fan so the NFL lockout won't hurt my feelings. But its a great chance to get Boxing back on TV and get fans excited about the sport again.

• 9 years ago

If the lockout happens, maybe it will give boxing a much-needed boost. Especially if it is on network TV. But can football players just walk off of the field into the ring like that? I know football is a tough sport, but boxing is a whole different thing. It's not exactly a street fight. It will be interesting to see what happens. Long Live Boxing - Football, not so much.

• 9 years ago

This is a good opportunity for both Bob Arum & Don King to bring world class championship boxing to network television. Sigining lucrative contracts with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and regain the boxing fans and venues throughout the country and around the world. I remember ABC wide world of sports, CBS sports, NBC tomorrows champions. Lets not confine the sport of boxing strictly to ESPN, MSG, SHO, HBO, Dob't get me wrong fans, NFL / NBA are my second & third love respectively, But I love my boxing. If there is an NFL lockout, I myself could not think of better opportunity to capture the mainstream sports media and show true boxing fans the quality fighters that are out there today, This a major plus for the fighters as well it means exposure and endorsements...nuff said !

• The lock-out, even if season ending, will do almost nothing for the sport. Why?

1.Press: The big time reporters who cover the sport will go into hyper-drive pumping out articles and books so they can capitalize on increased attention. An example of this is the LBJ fiasco that lasted all summer, you had writers who don’t even cover hoops chime in.

2. They don’t compete against each other for dollars or eyeballs: The NFL makes most of its money via T.V. revenues, do not play at all on Friday’s and only play on Saturday’s 2 weeks out of their total 21 week season (including playoffs).

3. College Football: Here’s a little secret folks, College Football is bigger (in terms of fans) than the NFL and always will be! This sport attracts people every weekend who don’t like the sport and are the famed “casual observer” and keeps their attention 8-14 hrs. on game day.

4. MLB: Even though the best sports writers and op./ed. Contributors in this country did their best to continue their onslaught on baseball paused after all fervor over the 94 strike dissipated, couldn’t stop it’s return to prominence. If people perceive the season will be cancelled those ticket and merchandizing dollars will be spent on MLB products this summer. Let’s put this into perspective. At Cowboys stadium that PSL, price that must be paid in order to have the right to purchase tickets (lol & you have to buy tickets every season for 28 yrs. Or lose license), ranges from $2,000 for seats I wouldn’t give my enemies to $150,000 for the “Founders Section”.

5. All B-E will equal is writers expounding on the superiority of NFL athletes when they when & a laugh fest if they lose.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

If those football guys box the way Hershel Walker does MMA, then I don't think there will be much affect. Or is it effect, I always get those confused. I remember when LT fought in a Toughman competition, he actually held his own.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

My friend Joey Clark is training Edwards at Ambition Academy, google it. He's looking real sharp he said. I don't know about those other guys, but Edwards WILL fight.

• 9 years ago

This reminds me of fight night when atlas says " we saw 200 lb football players get demolished by lightweights" lol

• 9 years ago

alot of N F L players will get hurt.they will do anything for money.

• Well, we'll see lots of footballers knocked out unless they're matched against complete bums.

TONGUE-CLICK!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.