Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

can i get a full ride to west point off of wrestling?

im 16 and Ive been working on getting into west point since freshman year. i did wrestling this year for my high school and i did really good so i figured i do it for the next 3 years. i know sports help you a lot in getting into colleges like west point but can get get a full ride on just a sport like wresting? and does west point even have a wrestling team?

Update:

they do recruit athletes, a person down the road from me got offered a ride at west point for football

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

All Service Academy Cadets and Midshipmen are on a free ride and also get paid a salary equal to 35% of the base pay of a 2nd Lieutenant or Ensign, though there are significant charges against it, especially the first two years. Athletic participation is essentially required for a Candidate to have a good chance of being appointed to a service academy. Over 90% of any service academy class has participated in varsity athletics with over 80% earning varsity letters and around 2/3 having been team captains. There are fourteen freshmen on the West Point Wrestling team this year. Three spent a year at United States Military Academy Prep School at Fort Monmouth New Jersey. This means they were not considered academically competitive for direct appointment to West Point, which usually means they had an Sat Cr score below 580 and/or an Sat Math score below 560. These are considered the minimum qualifying Sat scores for direct appointment to West Point. If a recruited athlete has Sat scores above this level he is directly appointed to the service academy and does not spend a year at the service academy prep school. At the link below, one can see the high school wrestling accomplishments of the wrestlers on the West Point wrestling team. Most of the athletes on the service academy varsity teams were athletic recruits. West Point is somewhere between the Air Force Academy where between 20 and 25 percent of each freshman class consists of athletic recruits and the Naval Academy where up to one third of recent classes have been athletic recruits.

http://i53.tinypic.com/alolkj.gif

The academic composite required of recruited athletes is substantially lower than for students who are not recruited athletes or being recruited to a service academy to meet some other academy recruiting goal.

http://www.goarmysports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID...

There were 62 freshmen on the West Point Football team in 2010, 24 spent a year at USMAPS.

http://www.goarmysports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID...

Athletic and other recruits offered a year at Usmaps do not need a nomination from a Congressman or any other source. On entering Usmaps, a Cadet Candidate is enlisted in the Army Reserve and placed on active duty status, this entitles him to being offered an appointment to West Point based on a Secretary of the Army nomination on successful completion of the Usmaps year. If the Usmaps year is not completed he is separated from the Army Reserves. The selection process is nearly identical at West Point, the Naval Academy, and the Air Force Academy, so whatever is stated on one service academy website or in its catalog with regard to admissions generally holds for the others. If you read the following answer and open the links it should help to explain the selection process and the path to an appointment:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Akhc0...

The Air Force Academy website offers outstanding advice to students prepping for a service academy, rotc scholarship or any highly selective university. Open all links to the left of the dialog box:

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation

Good Luck!

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

West Point Wrestling

• 1 decade ago

Jeeper is right. They have a D1 wrestling team and they do recruit. They are really good, you would definitely need to at least place at state, if not win it. You could always walk on if you manage to get in to West Point.

And West Point is free for everyone who goes there. You don't need a scholarship.

Good Luck

Source(s): High School Varsity Wrestler. Saw a West Point Wrestling recruiter at the Wrestling Sectional Tournament this year.
  • 1 decade ago

West Point has a Division l wrestling team.

So if you win multiple State Championships while in high school

You could be recruited like any other athlete at a division l university.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Your entrance to West Point will not be based solely off your abilities as a wrestler. You will also need high SAT scores, recommendations from a member of Congress and others involved in your active and educational life.

Source(s): Extensive military knowledge.
  • 1 decade ago

You must have a very high SAT score and a recommendation from your Congressman.

No matter how good a student or athlete, if you don't have a recommendation from your Congressman, no West Point.

So find out who is your Congressman, and boost up you SATs, and good luck.

• 1 decade ago

west point is free, if you get in anyways

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They do not recruit athletes, which is probably why they're not so hot at sports

Source(s): US Army
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.