Help with a TEFL Question?

I would like to become a TEFL Teacher (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) in Mexico. I've been doing some research about the educational requirements and have found out that as long as I have: - a University degree in any specialization (I'm considering English and Latin American Studies). - a... show more I would like to become a TEFL Teacher (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) in Mexico.

I've been doing some research about the educational requirements and have found out that as long as I have:
- a University degree in any specialization (I'm considering English and Latin American Studies).
- a TEFL/TESOL certificate
Are those really the only requirements?
Since I need "a University degree in ANY specialization", is English and/or Latin American Studies fine? Or do I need a 4 year Teaching Degree & a Major in English?

People I've spoken to recommend ITTO -International Teacher Training Organization to get a TEFL certificate. http://www.teflcertificatecourses.com/tefl-mexico.php
Do you agree? Do you recommend another place?

Also, I have a dual- citizenship; Canadian & Uruguayan... If I decide to take Latin American Studies in Toronto and go over to Uruguay to learn Spanish (considering that it's free, and I'm a citizen) will that be a bonus on my record for when I go to get a job?

Not sure if it matters but...
I speak English fluently and speak at the intermediate level in French & Spanish
I currently live in Canada