Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 9 years ago

Can non-living things grow? (Experiment)?

I need to experiment on non-living things to test if they can really grow or not. What are some easy-to-get materials I can use? The only thing I have right now is a rock.

Favorite Answer

Debt will grow. And the more you leave it alone... the greater it will become.

And, Hair and fingernails will grow. Both substances are dead - however a living organism produces them.

Interesting question.

I do not think that non living things can grow. I think they lack the basic ability to regenerate. Even we need to regenerate skin hair ETC... the elements will break down any thing living or not. I think your rock is a good example of this. Or perhaps the grand canon ON a very large scale (if thought of as one very large rock) it has been "chewed away". Maybe you could demonstrate this with a soft rock and either water pressure or air pressure to show the destructive nature of the elements and the lack of growth and in fact its inherent nature to decrease. I think a cup of water is a good example as well when heat is added it will decrease as well not add to itself. Any metal will oxidize and decrease and could be shown for your experiment. Most living things however become stronger and bigger in the face of adversity. This is how plants grow stronger roots. The lack of water causes the search for what they need to live. This is not possible with "non" living things. I like this question.

• ?

Well , sponges are an example of a non living thing that can grow. They are compressed and when you add water they are a little bigger. Same goes for those compressed towels that come in very small packages. Also most any dehydrated foods. These really only "appear" to grow as when you add water they only get as big as they were originally, but it might be fun to add to your project.

• ?

Sponges are living things ... before they are harvested and die so we can use them as ... sponges.

While it is true that both debt (clever) and crystals (accurate) grow ... this is not in accordance with the biological definition of growth.

The first thing you always, always do in any scientific/academic endeavour is to define your terms. You need to define what "growth" is and what it isn't. Usually, a biological definition involves the presence of cell(s) which divide (use the proper term for that, though).

Icicles grow. Stalactites and stalagmites grow and so do crystals.