? asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

Is the movie "Cloverfield" really worth the hype?

I've been interested in the whole "viral marketing" concept, and just wondering with all of the different sites and things promoting this movie, if the movie is really worth it. Similar ideas, like Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails CD have really gotten a lot of buzz on the internet.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Well I've seen the movie twice, and I followed the marketing campaign and the websites for the film since opening day of Transformers. I was not disappointed in Cloverfield.

There are some key points to keep in mind:

- It's produced by J.J. Abrams, so you should go into it knowing that you're going to probably come out with more questions than answers.

- It's a monster movie, nothing more, nothing less. If you expect a huge drama of character development mixed with a giant monster mixed with an action hero, you will sorely be disappointed. If you expect to see a group of people evading a giant monster that is destroying NYC and trying to survive, then you're on the right track.

- If you're motion sensitive, you may want to avoid this movie (even though I can't recommend it enough), or try and take motion sickness medicine like Dramamine.

- If you find yourself unable to suspend belief for a little while, you will be disappointed. Yes, this movie is supposed to be filmed with a home camera, yes the camera falls, gets crushed, etc. several times throughout the movie, and yet it still seems to be fine. People just love to criticize the movie on points like this, but you just need to be able to say screw it, and realize that if the camera broke, that would obviously mean the movie would end, and that wouldn't be very fun.

- The movie was created to stand completely on it's own, with no relation to the marketing campaign online. The movie doesn't utter the words "Tagruato", "Jamie", "Teddy", "Slusho", "TidoWave", "Chuai", or "Ganu" once. Nothing you've seen online is apparently referenced in the film (save for a Slusho T-shirt). As the director Matt Reeves said, the online stuff is a prism for looking at the film once you've seen it --- meaning that you can use what you've learned online to attempt to come up with answers to the many questions the movie leaves you with.

Overall, I loved the movie. It does exactly what it sets out to do --- put you in the shoes of struggling survivors of a monster attack while they try and escape, help each other, and so on.

Personally I didn't think so. THe monster design was cool, but the story was pretty dumb. Yes, obviously in a monster movie most people don't know what's happening and panic. That alone does not make a good story. The characters are pretty boring, so there is noone to care about. No connection with the actors at all.

Really this movie was about marketing. I remember on IMDB alot of people thought the line "I see it it's alive" was "I see it it's a lion". People who heard lion were convinved it was a giant lion monster. Some people got so caught up in the hype they felt they were abigger part of it by insisting the word alive was a lion. People went ape crap over this.

Also the viral marketing for some Japanese drink had nothing to do with the movie. People were assuming the juice came from something the monster ate or secreted, apperently those ads weren't done by the filmmakers themselves. It was done bya different company to increase the hype.

This is basically who Cloverfield was market: "Hey here's some loud noises! It's awesome!"

Audience members "Loud noises? It must signify something great!"

When things have as much hype as "Cloverfield" does, it kind of makes me not want to see it. This things tend to be hit or miss, and if it is a miss, I'd rather wait and see what everyone else has to say after the fact. All the hype really does is turn me off and at least from what I have seen of the advertisements on TV, it seems like they have given most of the movie away...and that's never fun. Who knows, maybe it will be great, but I'll just have to wait and find out.

Good Luck!

I found the hype surrounding the movie interesting and I think it did it’s job (given the opening weekend box office numbers are pretty good). As for the film itself I found it to be a good concept/plot but far from original. I think overall the film was well executed but I found myself a bit ill by the end of the film (the whole film is practically all shaky cam, which I expected, but I now know that a 2 hour film of shaky cam does not work for my stomach).

So, is the film worth it? It’s hard to say. Everyone’s taste in movies are different. If you like monster films, don’t get motion sickness very badly and don’t mind a story with very little answers then this film is for you.

The movie is shot through a hand held video camera, so it's like you are really there. I actually cried at the end. Trust me, it is worth seeing. The graphics were pretty good, beside the monster looking kinda weird. Everything aside I think you should see it(:

I've heard that a lot of people were underwhelmed by it. It presents more questions than it answers, and not everyone likes the "Blair Witch" style in which it was filmed.

But that's just one set of people. I've read a few reviews that were totally positive.

I guess it's worth a watch just to make your own decision.

Once they got downtown and we got our first glimpse of the Monster, I was hooked.

And it did have a pretty cool heroic plot (boyfriend gets cell phone call from girlfriend who is trapped in a skyscraper ravished by the monster in the middle of monster central, and realizes he will risk his life to go get her (aw), and the action stays pretty good after that.

I give it thumbs up but skip the intro beginning stuff.

No!! I love movies and it is definitely one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I almost walked out of the cinema when I saw it...I don't think its worth it

it's fairly descent until you see the hugely fake computer generated monster, then it's just a drag.

it's old now