1911 .45ACP vs AK-47?

Well i was planning on getting my first gun and i cant decide between a cheap Ak47 or a 1911. They both cost about the same, so price wont chance anything. I was leaning toward an AK cause i know more about it that a 1911 and i could use it for hunting, but i was also thinking a 1911 cause i wanted to start competitive shooting. please help. thanks !

actually not my first gun. I already have a .22. i just want a "real" gun that can pack a punch.

i was also thinking the ak because of its legendary reliability and how it is much more customizable than the 45

Favorite Answer

I own both, so I know that it is a tough choice. Where will you do your most shooting indoor ranges, outdoor ranges, or outdoor private land? If you are primarily going to be shooting in indoor ranges, I would recommend the 1911, especially if your range is not more than 25 yards. If you are at an outdoor range with 100 yards, go for the AK-47. If you have private land, then it depends on how close the neighbors are.

If you are still up in the air, I am going to recommend the you get a 1911 since it sounds like you don't hunt yet because it will be more versatile for anything except hunting. You can get a decent quality 1911 for under $500 if you go with Rock Island Armory or American Classic. I have an American Classic II that cost me $480 including shipping and FFL transfer, and I have zero complaints.

Checkout Centerfire Systems http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ or JG Sales http://www.jgsales.com/index.php

You can get both an AK and a Rock Island Armory Tactical for under $1000.

If it's hunting the AK is the obvious answer. If home defense is a concern go with the 1911. You can also get shot shells for the 1911 for varmint hunting or squirrels or whatever.

Another thing: if you want to customize your gun you have a lot more options with the AK. Furniture, scope, trigger, etc.

If I were getting my first gun, though, I'd get a single-shot .410 or a .22 rifle. They're dirt cheap and you can figure out if you really enjoy shooting before spending much. You can find one of either of those for about $50.

Both would be a good choice to move up to from you .22. It is really dependent on what your primary use would be.

If you just like going out to the range plinking around or hunting the AK would probably be the way to go.

If you are leaning more towards a home defense kind of situation the 1911 would probably be the way to go.

Think about what your needs and wants are for the weapon then decide what will best suit you.

* Your Best Value and Choice is the Model 1911 45acp.* The AK's are not that accurate anyway and the 1911 is more valuable and useful to you.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*........................Fly like an Eagle.*~~

both are must a must have the ak has alot of options for pimping it out with stocks and what not its alot easier on the wallet to shoot but if you want to get into shooting at competitions you should spend alot more on a 1911 check out my website to see my 1911 and ak www.utahcustomcamo.com

The AK isnt even half as customizable as the 1911.

Start with neither, get a .22lr instead. That will set the foundation for all of your fireams in the future. .22's are great starting firearms. Then I would buy the 1911.

• shari

9 mm in a 1911 is a joy to shoot.... Low recoil. I own a 9mm Springfeild and shoot IDPA with it.... 1911 and affordable~to~feed. For the purists... Hold in intellect that Colt cambered slabsides in 20 calibers ( on the whole export) and 38 tremendous was the primary popular addition American chambering.

i would go with the AK. ammo is cheaper and mags are too.

First gun? Get an airsoft gun.