Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

How do you spell the Libya dictator's name?

I have noticed that all the news networks have been spelling it differently. Fox News spells it "Qadhafi" MSNBC spells it "Khadhfi" and CNN spells it "Gadhafi". Which way is the correct way? Does it even matter?

• A.R.
    Favorite Answer

معمر القذافي‎

The variety of spellings you get in English translations is likely due to the way it is pronounced with a hard "G" sounding very similar to a "K."

Back in the 80's, when Ronald Reagan was having trouble with Libya, I read a newspaper article on this subject. The reporter found about a dozen different spellings, but none were claimed to be correct. It's one of those weird things that no one will ever get right.

In English its Gadhafi, in other languages it varies. Just like the Koran, in other languages its different.

I've seen it Khaddafi, Gadhafi, Qadafi. Open spell checker just told me I have 3 misspellings.

i observed the Gadhafi exchange, too. I consistently ask your self what my call could finally end up being in languages that use distinctive alphabets. It does look to take place to the Arabic names the main however. remember Usama bin-weighted down?

Guagahskhaddooffusodaffi.

• Ted

The Arabic to Roman alphabet transliteration of his name has many possibilities

Read the "Name" section of wikipedia article on him to see more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi#Name

locally it is spelled with a g nationally it is spelled with q an world wide its spelled with a k

Gaddafi, people of the Qaddadfa tribe demonym is Gaddafi.

• Alex

K-daffy