Do I have to show proof that my dog is a service animal in national parks ? please add exact CFR's or ADA law?

Can a law enforcement officer in national parks legally ask for proof my dog is a service animal, if, when asked, I say it is, and say it is for medical reasons? ;also, do I have to identify what the dog does for me, such as just saying for medical alert or to help me walk? I don't think it is legal to ask what medical problem I have, I't is federal land, Dept. of the Interior.,Please add exact ADA laws..etc if you know them. Thank you for your answers I really appreciate them.:)

Favorite Answer

Per the ADA, they can ask 2 questions...

1) Is this dog a service dog necessary for a disability?

2) What is an example of a task that the dog does to mitigate the disability?

In the US, there is no certification/registration requirement of service dogs. They can not ask you to prove your dog is a service dog, and they may not inquire as to what your disability is.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

www.ada.gov/archive/animal.htm

It is important to note that even service dogs can be excluded in certain circumstances. For example, if the presence of the dog fundamentally alters the nature of the business, the dog can be excluded. Service dogs are often excluded from parts of a zoo, like the petting zoo. They can also be excluded from a cat only veterinary practice.

If the dog proves to be a danger to the public (growling, baring teeth), they can also be excluded.

Source(s): I am disabled and have a service dog.

There is no federal law requiring proof of certification or a qualified disability to have one. You dont have to prove prove anything in the USA. If you leave the country, yes. You have to prove it then.

Businesses can ask you to leave if you do not show proof, but only in the event the business or service would be fundamentally alter by the presence of the animal.

If your dog is well behaved and follows commands, plus wears the vest, chances are you won t be asked. If you are going to try and scam the system, just pay the minimal amount to have your dog go through your canine good citizen and AKC STARR programs. It is not that expensive, is good for your dog AND for you. That s all you need. Best to call a licensed dog trainer to inquire about all of this and then go through the training.

Why ruin it for people who legitimately need service animals?

Probably the same answer to the question you asked an hour ago: a "therapy dog" is not a service animal, but most National Park property is open to pets on leashes, so what's the big deal? Are you looking to start trouble with some unsuspecting ranger or you're trying to get away with something?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Al6Qt...

You have to show proof that your dog is a certified service dog if you enter a no pets zone, be ready to prove you have the right to breach that provision. They absolutely have the right to question you, they also will not accept a lot of online bogus certifications that will certify anyone with any aliment to get a service dog.

He doesn't need to know your medical condition if you don't want to tell him, it's not illegal to ask. He does have the right to see the certification if you want to continue using a service dog in a non pets allowed area.

You have to expect people to question you, otherwise people would just bring pets wherever they wanted and say it's a service dog. Also know there's a lot of people out there who try and say they have a service dog and provide no accredited certification, as such, they will ask and not accept fake online certificates.

Farf information only applies if you have a protected disability, like being blind, I doubt her information applies in your scenario. If it were that easy, everyone would have a service dog and no one could say otherwise legally.

• ?3 years agoReport

So ANYONE could SAY that their dog is a service dog and bring their non-service animal anywhere. I don t think so. QWASTIC you suck.