what is the difference between naturist and nudist?

• Sky
    Best Answer

The difference is very subtle, and the definitions likely differ from one nudist/naturist to the next. I consider myself to be a naturist rather than a nudist (and I'm in the US). I tend to think of nudists as seeing nudity as more of a social thing, something to be enjoyed with friends at home or at a nude beach/resort. Naturists see of nudity as a way of life, a healthy lifestyle that lives clothes-free and greatly appreciates the link between being nude, which is perfectly natural, and the rest of nature. I would also tend to think that while nudists don't mind wearing clothes in clothing-required situations and locations, naturists can't stand to wear clothes because they feel like an uncomfortable covering of the body, and can't wait to take the clothes back off. Of course this is all just my own subjective opinion.

In reality, nudists and naturists are very much the same.

Source(s): naturist for 20+ years

Nudist Naturist

Some would say there is no difference. Others say that anyone can be a nudist by simply taking off their clothes, whereas a Naturist has a belief in the many benefits, both physical and psychological, of social nudity and sees it as connecting with nature.

The most obvious distinction I have come across is geographical. Here in the UK we more often use the term Naturist, whereas in America the term nudist is more common.

Source(s): I monitor the world's press for articles on Naturism/Nudism and I hopefully represent the views of the majority of BN's members, who have discussed this very question on their members on-line forum in the past.

As a man who tries to live bare as often as possible, my understanding from friends who consider themselves as a naturist or as a nudist, is the philosophical distinction between the two. Both would prefer to be as clothes-free as often as possible; the naturist in order to closely identify with the environment and the nudist in order to be natural and liberated from the restrictions of clothing. The naturist is primarily attuned to harmony with the natural world and the nudist is focused more on the human aspect of being bare among other humans.

Nudist Definition

Nothing, different term that means the same thing. To me I thought of naturists as people that did the nudism thing 24/7. And a nudist was someone that visited the resorts and beaches but did not live there all year. In other words the nudist is dressed more than he/she is nude. More of a part time, full time way of looking at it.

Source(s): 24 year nudist

Naturism is a term more common in Europe and the Commonwealth nations. Nudism is more common in the US.

Beyond that it really just boils down to an individual's personal outlook on clothesfree recreation and lifestyle. I use both terms equally when defining myself. While I prefer being nude in natural locations much more than commercial locations, I've been to my fair share of house parties and winter swims held indoors as well. While I grew up in a nudist household and rarely wore clothing when not necessary, I don't hate being clothed. In fact I wear a suit and heels most days to work and I like the "work" me as much as I like the "fun" me.

There's really no right or wrong answer and most true nudists/naturists won't really care how you define yourself.

RE:

Source(s): difference naturist nudist: https://trimurl.im/b35/what-is-the-difference-betw...
  • ?

I'm a nudist who practices naturism. How about that?

about 6 beers.