Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 9 years ago

Echineacea is good for?

I bought a BIG box of Echineace today, I'm determined to build up my immune system!

( I have asthma and religiously get sick every 2 months with chest infections)

Will Echinacea do what it says on the box?

Does it work?

How long do I have to be on it, to know its kicking in?

Update:

Well, thats me totally confused then! Some say its great some say it's not. There is really only one way to find out I suppose. Thanks to everyone who took the time to advise :-)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary K
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Echinacea is not good for much at all I'm afraid. See: http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/spotlight/12... It does little or nothing for colds and flus and it certainly won't 'build' your immune system. That concept is just naturopathic nonsense.

Maintain a healthy balanced diet, get plenty of water, exercise and good rest, avoid crowds and sick people, wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, and get your flu vaccination.

That's about the best you can do.

-------

EDIT: Homeopathy will not have any effect on asthma or chest infections (as suggested by @thenoseknows). That is seriously dangerous advice from a quack. Homeopathy is water and sugar pills, the most elaborate placebo on the market. People who push homeopathy are unable to substantiate their claims with good quality scientific evidence, their credibility is therefore very doubtful. Probiotics cannot not prevent colds and flus - you don't have 'natural' immunity to viruses you haven't encountered before.

• 9 years ago

Nothing.

By the way, asthma is caused by an over active immune reaction. That's why it's often treated with steroids. So even if you could boost your immune system, which you can't, it would just lead to a worsening of your asthma.

• yule
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

White stuff within the throat generally is a strep contamination. That can result in critical middle obstacle if untreated - rheumatic fever - so get it checked out by way of a healthcare professional. It might additionally simply be a flu with a throat contamination however see a healthcare professional...the frame aches and "throw up" signs sound like flu. Flu will go. Rheumatic fever will hang-out you all of your existence and kill you early. See a healthcare professional.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

What Nate and Gary said- nothing.

I doubt you are getting chest infections every two months. What might be happening is you have extended periods of sickness following a viral infection (such as post viral hyper bronchial reactivity- basically an extended period of lung instability) so it seems like you are unwell all the time.

This could also be a sign that your Asthma is being poorly managed and not under control. This is dangerous. You need to see your Doctor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Echinacea stimulates one side of your immune system called the Th1 response. This is the side that is responsible for killing virus and bacteria invaders. You do NOT want to overload your Th1 response on an ongoing basis as you may CAUSE an autoimmune condition, leaving you much worse that before. Contrary to popular belief, one does not 'build up' their immune system by taking immune stimulants like this. You should use these (echinacea, Vitamin C, Garlic capsules, etc) either when you feel the start of a cold or sickness, or in cycles (like 2 weeks per month).

One's immune system is improved (built up) through use. That means it gets stronger when both sides (Th1 and Th2) fire to rid the body of a bug. Other nutrients like pycnoginol and resveritol stimulate the Th2 response.

Long story short: Use your immune stimulants AS NEEDED, not all the time!

Hope this helps.

• 9 years ago

It can shorten the duration of a cold or flu.

80% of your immune system is in your gut. Taking probiotic supplements can boost your natural immunity, especially if you've ever taken antibiotics (which is most of us). Antibiotics kill off your good gut bacteria along with the bad, and leave you more susceptible to future problems. A good probiotic supplement delivers 15 billion live cells per serving. Yogurt is a poor source, and there are quite a fiew inferior probiotics on the market so you have to do your homework.

If you have regular problems with asthma and chest infections your best bet is to see a professional Homeopath and cure the problem permanently.

• 9 years ago

It's good for people who have stock in companies that sell oddly-named placebos to bored Midwestern housewives.

...other than that, not much.

• Nate
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Nothing.

It is recommended that people with asthma don't take echinacea

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Echinacea tea is a good home remedy for the flu, coughs, colds and the flu.

The natural healthy properties of the herb, principally the polysaccharides and echinaceoside, are the ones that act to also fight moderate infections.

Echinacea tea may also help fight sore throat due to colds.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.