Do you wear a head covering in church?

I am considering wearing a head covering in church/home fellowships, but hardly anyone else I know does this. I know I will get strange looks, but this is my conviction. Anyways, do any of you wear head coverings AND are considered the 'different' one because of it? If so, how do you deal with the looks and even verbal opinions?

P.S. I'm not Catholic (I know they wear head coverings too)

Favorite Answer

I'm a member of a Traditional-leaning Catholic community. Ladies generally wear head covering, but I can't remember the last time we stoned a women for not wearing the mantilla. I'd have to check. Maybe we do that for our annual picnic.

Here's the deal: If your personal beliefs tell you its appropriate to wear the head covering, do what you gotta do. While I'd love for you to consider converting (as I did) to Catholicism, the important thing here is that you give God all the reverence you feel led to give. If that's over and above what others give, that's too bad. As one (protestant) preacher once told me, "This is between you and God. Don't let other people chase you away."

Most Christians did suppose that a womans head must be included IN CHURCH. That stopped across the time of John twenty third. Along with "fish on friday". John used to be an overly innovative Pope.

• Lilith

I think more important is why you want to. If it is because of a false sense of piety, like you want everyone to see how religious you are, then I think you need to recognize that in yourself and deal with it. If you are truely convicted for some reason then you need to stand tall, cover you head and explain your convictions when questioned and deal with whatever fall out there is.

Yes ... I don't believe that Christian women always have to cover their heads during church services, only when they pray.

• tina d

some people should wear a covering over their head ALL the time! :))

Just another example, IMHO, of men trying to impose rules on women to degrade or subjegate them. Akin to Muslims, are men so incapable of controlling themselves that the mere sight of a woman's face will cause xtian men to immoral thoughts?

who then is guilty?

as usual, men will say 'women', and logic will say.... MEN

perhaps if men were required to gouge their eyes out, we would have a much more peaceful world?

just an idea.

• My hurr.

Some do, some do not. If you believe in it, be proud of what you believe in. You can't be afraid of the outside opinions.

Source(s): Christian-Episcopalian

The Bible has verses concerning veil/head covering..

THE RIGHT OF A MUSLIM WOMAN IS TO BE RESPECTED FOR HER MIND AND FOR BEING HER OWN PERSON- Islam Gives Men and Women Equal Rights

"O You who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will, and you should not treat them with harshness,… And live with them honorably. If you dislike them, it may be that you dislike a thing and God brings through it a great deal of good." (Quran- 4:19)

1. The RIGHT and duty to acquire education.

2. The RIGHT to have her own independent property.

3. The RIGHT to work [job or business] to earn money, which she keeps.

4. The RIGHT to equal reward for equal deed and/or work.

5. The RIGHT to express her opinion.

6. The RIGHT to argue and/or advocate her cause or opinion to be heard.

7. The RIGHT to vote since 579 A.D.

8. The RIGHT to provisions from her husband for all her needs and more.

9. The RIGHT to negotiate marriage terms of her choice.

10.The RIGHT to obtain divorce from her husband, even on the grounds that she simply don't like him. In Islaam divorce is suppose to be last resort.

11.The RIGHT to keep all her own money. [She is not responsible for maintenance of family].

12.The RIGHT to get sexual satisfaction from her husband.

13.The RIGHT to get custody of her children in case of divorce [unless she is unable to raise them for valid reasons]

14.The RIGHT to choose husband of her choice.

15.The RIGHT to refuse a proposed and/or arranged marriage.

16. The RIGHT to re-marry after divorce or after becoming widow. 17. An Islamic law does not require that women should confine themselves to household duties.

Muslim women have [and are as well] headed Islamic provinces [and states as well], like Arwa bint Ahmad, who served as governor of Yemen under the Fatimid Khalifahs in the late fifth and early sixth century.

Name any other religion, political theory, or philosophy which offers such a comprehensiveness to women by giving her total control of her life and affairs ??? NONE

Islam considers a woman to be equal to a man as a human being. Women have been created with a soul of the same nature as man’s. Islam does not blame Eve alone for the First Sin. The Quran makes it very clear that both Adam and Eve were tempted, that they both sinned and were both forgiven after their repentance.

A WOMAN’s RIGHT IN THE BIBLE

STONE THEM TO DEATH: "If however the charge is true and no proof of the girl's virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death..." Deuteronomy 22:13-21

Polygamy still exists amongst fundamentalist Mormons and certain sects. A fundamentalist group in America instructs women to call their husbands MASTER and to practice the art of being a SLAVE. Various fundamentalists exhort wives to submit and obey and have embarked on a chastity crusade targeting young women. ARE WOMEN TREATED FAIRLY IN THE BIBLE? ARE THEY RESPECTED AS INDIVIDUALS OR SLAVES TO MAN? ARE THEY RESPECTED AND HONORED?

Note: All references from King James Version

THE REASON BEHIND PAINS OF DELIVERY

[Genesis 3:16]

16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

CAN SELL YOUR DAUGHTERS

[Exodus 21:7]

. 7 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.

CHOPPING OFF WIFE’S HAND FOR HELPING HUSBAND

[Deuteronomy. 25:11]

11 When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: 12 Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her.

HEY! WOMAN SHUT UP!!!

[1 Corinthians. 14:34]

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

GOD PUNISHES WIVES FOR HUSBAND’S SINS

[Amos 7:16-17]

16 Now therefore hear thou the word of the LORD: Thou sayest, Prophesy not against Israel, and drop not thy word against the house of Isaac. 17 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Thy wife shall be an harlot in the city,

Source(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwyCfT02CZk&feature... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWY1in3Y70U&feature... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rs1V6_EZ-g&feature... Sir William Muir, a renowned critic of Islam on the Quran: "There is not a single book on earth that has remained in its pristine form as it were revealed some 12 centuries ago, (now 14 centuries) but the Koran."