Beth asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 9 years ago

Anyone know Seamus Heaney's 'Strongman' poem?

I have english coursework in for tomorrow and it would really help if someone knew the poem 'Strongman' by Seamus Heaney.

The question is "How do the Poets make us feel both Admiration and Pity for the Two Fathers in “Strongman” and “Follower”?" I already have the poem 'follower' but obviously it would really help if someone could tell me Heaney's poem.

Update:

OOOOPS!

it's Toni Curti's poem, not Heaney's.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I can not find this poem anywhere. Check out this site, it has several of his works. It may be there. good luck:

http://www.studentcentral.co.uk/GCSE/English_Liter...

• 9 years ago

I think that we admire the father in the first part of the poem because he is such a strong support for his family. We pity him because it seems that he regrets that later in his life he can no longer have that strength.

We admire the son because he grows up to take the place of his father. He grows into his strength and is able to take the place of his father, caring for his father as his father cared for him. We pity the son because we realize that he loses this man who has always been his example of strength.

The poem is interesting because what it talks about is a natural cycle of life, but change is always hard for people to cope with.

• 3 years ago

I study this two times. the form you layer longer tale-suitable prose is admirable, and something I fairly have lots hassle with. you're making it look elementary, organic, yet all people who write understand the alternative is authentic. I commonly degree the effectiveness of somewhat by utilising the form of TD's........Jealousy rears it fairly is eco-friendly head. Kudos to you, Mr Carney.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.