Did Colin Firth deserve the Oscar? And Did The King's Speech deserve Best Picture?

I think both were well deserved

Favorite Answer

I agree that both deserved to win. Colin Firth had such great challenges for his role, and "The King's Speech" was surprisingly funny and intriguing. I was really glad they both won.

Actually, this is one of the few years when the Academy actually got most of the choices right. It wasn't nearly as much about politics as it was about performances, writing, etc. The Academy is infamous for giving people awards because they like them (Sandra Bullock), they're old and may die before they get nominated again (Alan Arkin, James Coburn, Jack Palance), or they feel bad that they couldn't give them an award for a previous performance when they really deserved it (Russell Crowe, Morgan Freeman, Jeff Bridges). It was nice to see people/films that really deserved their nominations get those awards.

I did think both were deserved - Colin Firth was amazing and the film was enjoyable.

Though I wish Inception would have won best director - that was an amazing movie too, and deserved more than just the technical Oscars.

Firth's performance was perfection. His body language and expression as he went to each public speech held more dread had he been on his way to his execution. One might believe he would have welcomed an executioner's axe rather than have to utter a single sylable. When he spoke we agonized over ever word with him.

It was brilliance.

• Yes, and yes

Thank you for not posting a rant about how Toy Story or Inception should've won. If either of those should've won, then they would have.

• Logan

Absolutely!!

• Lou

Yes, Brilliant film and brilliant actor!

That excellent photo montage with The King's Speech voice-over was once hilarious. As if it wasn't apparent ample that it would win.. Melissa Leo annoys me, but she deserved to win. She was first rate in the Fighter. I am highly completely happy that Christian Bale in the end received an Oscar. As just right as his other films had been, this is best the starting. I see much more Oscar-profitable performances in his future. I might additionally like so as to add that i couldn't aid however laugh when he forgot his wife's name. That used to be embarrassing. Kirk Douglas was once mostly my favorite part of the whole night, god bless him. As for the rest of the winners..Predictable. David O. Russell must be going house with the award for first-class Director, and i have to say Black Swan and Natalie Portman are highly overrated. The hosts..Eh. Stupid and boring. James Franco have to have smoked some Pineapple categorical before the exhibit, seeing that he was once brutal. He truly regarded bored. Anne Hathaway tried, at least. Eventually, I felt that Toy Story 3 was being shoved down our throats, however perhaps it's simply me..

yes, and yes.