Becca asked in SportsFootball (American) · 9 years ago

NFL Lockout and Green Bay Packers?

A bit confused about the possible lockout and the impact it will have on the one NFL team the does not have an owner. In the case that you don't know, the Green Bay Packers are owned by shareholders, not one single person. I understand most of the CBA between the owners and players but will Green Bay also be locked out if it is not reached? I think that logic would say no owner, no lockout, but i may be completely wrong. Anyone know at all? Thanks for your help!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You must be a cheese head. How do you think the Packers will play if all the other teams wont be playing? Hmmmmmmmmmm

• Login to reply the answers
  • ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Just because the NFL has locked out the players doesnt mean their wont be a season. History has shown that the owners will bring in scab players to field a team and continue to have a season.

PS. Green Bay residents might be "shareholders" of the packers but they have NO SAY in anything Packer related. As a matter of fact the NFL has rules in place just for Green Bay that keeps "certain information" secret from the so called "Shareholders"

So technically the Green Bay Packer "Shareholders" are just mindless twits that have no power, say or even knowledge of how the Packers are run.

• 9 years ago

I don't think OP is inferring that the Packers would still *play*, guys. She's wondering if the Packers would be able to use team facilities and such. Remember, a lockout is literal; the doors are closed on all team facilities to the players.

No, the Packers still have a team president, who would side with the league, not the Players Association. You have to remember, the Packers do have shareholders, but no significant ones, which is the point. The Packers shareholders have relatively little administrative power.

• 9 years ago

the nfl has mandated that no team can contact their players , including the packers. Also there are only about 200000 shareholders,with the majority of the shares being owned by the City of Green Bay. Any profits they make goes directly to Green Bay Packer Charities. As far as shareholders go they do vote on who is going to run the organization (aka the president and corresponding board) like any corporation. There is just not a profit motive. That is basically how they are basically set up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Well, in this situation, I still believe the Packers will not play if the rest of the teams don't play. Think about it. How much sense would it make for one team to play in the NFL when no one else can? Essentially that means, only one team can compete against itself, which is actually not logical if you want to get into logisitcs. My point is, 31 teams will not play because they are owned by one individual. Even though the Packers are owned by shareholders, that doesn't mean they are exempt. How can they compete without another competitor? Bottom line? The NFL might not have another season, and that includes the Packers. There are 32 teams that play against each other. 1 team can't play if there are no opponents to play against it.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The Packers will be locked out like everyone else. It isn't individual teams vs. players, it's the NFL as a whole vs. the NFLPA, which is the players' union. All for one and one for all, as they say. Packers president Mark Murphy has actually been in the negotiations and participating on behalf of the owners.

Here are a couple articles that discuss some of the current issues, if you're interested.

http://www.totalpackers.com/2011/03/03/no-nfl-lock...

http://www.totalpackers.com/2011/03/02/with-lockou...

• 9 years ago

You just said the Packers were owned by shareholders. That, by definition, would mean that those shareholders are the OWNERS of the franchise. No owner no lockout my ***.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Ok. Even if the Packers were not locked out, but the other teams in the NFL ARE, who would the Packers play against?

• 9 years ago

Things would be the same for the Packers as they would be for the rest of the league. No access to team facilties and no football contact.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes they will be locked out... they are apart of the NFL and the players are part of the union

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.