Kate
Kate asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 9 years ago

Should I teach elementary, middle, or high school?

I'm 19 years old. I'm a freshman in college studying early childhood education. I'm not enjoying my major. For elementary, I love the kids. For middle and high school, I like the subject matter. I'm really good at English, History, and Geography. Those were my fave subjects in high school. Should I teach elementary, middle, or high school?

Along with Health and Physical Education.

Favorite Answer

I am an elementary teacher (majored in Elementary education K-6) and although I enjoy my job, its HARD to get a job in elementary education unless you know a principal or someone high up in the district to help you get a job. I graduated with a 4.0 and the only job I could get within 5 states was in inner cities, and let me tell you...its not worth it! Its too stressful.

That being said, there are more middle/high school jobs than elementary. Since you would be picking a subject matter to teach, your degree would be to teach that subject matter in grades 7-12....so your degree would be to teach middle OR high school, giving you more options! (Just like an elementary degree lets you teach K-6). I would say to go for English or History education...both are marketable (I would say English is a little more marketable) and you could teach 7-12 with a degree in either one.

(A degree in health and physical education is becoming less and less popular too because some schools are lessening their gym time and even putting their gym teachers to part time)

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axlxQ

Annyeonghaseyo! Sorry, I don't live in Korea, but I'm still gonna try and answer since I don't see any other attempts so far. The most popular and obvious choice of career to work in Korea as a foreigner is to teach English. It's very popular and will usually supply you with an apartment, a few weeks of vacation, and a pretty good pay (sorry don't know the exact). For that job, I believe you can get hired with any four year degree, even if it's something unrelated, like Engineering. But if you were interested in really becoming a teacher, you could take English, Education, and of course Korean classes. It would also be a good idea to try and volunteer with different children to figure out which age groups you get along best with (since you would pick if you wanted elementary, middle, or high school students). But if teaching's not for you, you can always get into business. With South Korea's booming entertainment and technology market, there are many companies with a growing interest in global relations and trade. Being an English agent or even translator could open many doors for you. For daily expenses, from what I have heard, water bills and such are generally very cheap, and food is a little cheaper than you would see in the US, excluding foreign food of course. And I have also seen that transportation on the subway and buses are also generally cheap. (Correct me if I'm wrong on these assumptions but it's just from my observations.) Good luck and btw, GD is awesome and I want to move to Seoul too ^^ P.S. There are also programs where you can travel to Korea and study there for a while. I'd look at the CIEE South Korea Scholarship for high school or college, and possibly the Korean Language program at Seoul National University for a college semester abroad.

• Izzie

You might want to try working at one specific school and see if you can be both an elementary and middle school teacher (maybe 2-3 years each, depends how long you want to teach)

However, I agree with all the other comments about how middle school is easiest, (and probably most pleasing for you) to teach.

however, from a student point of view, having a good -or at least, comprehensible- teacher in highschool is practically essential. I have a maths teacher who can't explain concepts well to the entire class, and many students are now suffering in their maths work. It's at this point, when you are close to applying for college and university, that students really need a good teacher. (Actually another critical point in teaching is making sure kids learn how to properly read and write letters and numbers, so I would also advise kindergarten) Both Kindergarten and High school teaching can be a challenge, but if you think you're up for it, then go for it!

Source(s): p.s the math teacher is a really nice lady and all, but we aren't so sure what comes out of her mouth 50% of the time...
  • Pat

Does the university you're attending have a teaching degree for 6-12? If so, that may open the possibilities for you to do either. Additionally, if you are considering middle school or high school, will you consider a Bachelor's in one and a Master's in the other?

You sound like me. (Really every teacher).

Look at middle school, see if you like the kids at that age, if you like that age group than switch your major to secondary ed and teach middle school kids.

However assuming you don't like middle school kids and it is a choice between teaching little kids who you love or teaching a subject matter you love, teach the little kids.

FACT: No matter how much you love a subject the kids will not, and the older they get the less they will like it. If you don't like working with the age group you are teaching you will have a horrible time.

Teaching is always more about the kids than anything else.

Now a days, in US it has become increasingly difficult to find a job in a school. The only post which I find lucrative in school education is that of a English teacher. English teachers are being needed every where, I would say, all over the world so, becoming a English teacher helps to get a job in schools as it has high demand now.

sounds like elementary is going to be out so shoot for middle .they need a nice young teacher that cares i hear middle is the hardest for children

I think you should teach where you would be most comfortable. A compromise would be teaching 6th graders, you still get the subject matter and the children are relatively young.

I don't consider that's accurate

id go for middle