accuracy of home blood pressure monitors?

I have one of those contraptions and, today when I did it, it went from the 'High Normal' of 'Normal Blood Pressure', to the 'Mild Stage 1' of 'High Blood Pressure', all within a few readings.

I checked my arm position, took my watch off, made sure I was able to sit in a 90 degree position with my arm resting on the table.

Are they really that accurate? Or do they give people a false sense of security/despair?

I am more active than the average person since I bike daily(except in rain or snow), at least 20mi. I have a 24-Speed road racing bike to do it with.

• PatA
    Favorite Answer

There are different quality of home blood pressure monitors, but yes they are accurate. You may have taken the readings too close together. You should wait at least 15 minutes between readings and make sure to use the same arm each time. Keep your feet flat on the floor - no crossed legs. Try to calm yourself for a few minutes before taking the reading.

If you want to be sure, you need to take it with you when you visit your doctor. Your doctor will take your blood pressure with their cuff and then with yours. I've done this. My problem is white coat hypertension. When I'm at home I'm well below the recommended 120/80. In the doctor's office - not so much. And, my home monitor showed that to be true!

3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

they are not accurate