Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 9 years ago

Is taking a kid rock climbing in a jeep child endangerment?

I am a parent WANTING to take my kids (both 10 yrs old) rock climbing. They will be strapped in, I have rocked climbed for years. It is my EX husband telling me it is child endangerment and I am not allowed to take them. I have taken them before and he had no problem and when we were married we went all the time but NOW all of the sudden, it's a problem.

Favorite Answer

No, but I don't think you should be climbing Kid Rock with your Jeep (even if you don't like his music).

j0e

If it is your kid or you have the parent's permission and proper safety precautions are made then this is not endangerment. You are looking at trouble when you end up with a seriously injured child/dead kid and there is alcohol involved, a lack of safety gear, or clear lack of providing adequate safety (child not strapped in) or engaging in excessively dangerous activity. Most likely you are a divorcee not wanting their ex to take the child on these excursions and you want to make the case that this is endangerment to control the ex's activities with or ability to see the kids in which case you don't have a case and the truth of the matter is that you can not control what your ex does with your kids during their time unless it is abusive or neglectful. You may not like this activity but done correctly it is probably far more dangerous for you to let a kid ride a bike without a helmet than to occasionally rock climb in a jeep.

If you are rock "crawling" with your children, strapped in, it shouldn't be a problem. The only issue that I could think of is your experience at the wheel for these adventures. If your husband usually drove the vehicle, he may be concerned about any inexperience you may have.

At any rate, never go alone when you drive on trails. If it would make your ex husband feel better, find another crawling buddy to accompany you. You never know when you'll need a friend to pull you out of a tight spot. Bring ratchet straps and some tools. That might make your ex more comfortable with the situation.

My husband takes our boys with him when he goes out rock climbing in the jeep and no its not child endangerment, its called fun, you should try it! Sometimes it can get a little scary but as long as you know what your doing it should be ok.

i rock climb in my jeep. as long as all of the safety things are done for the child, including child roll over restraints, it should not be a problem, nor should it be considered endangerment. assuming of course that the driver knows how to rock climb, and is fully aware of the dangers inherent in doing so.

I assume it would depend on the age of the kid and whether you were observing all the necessary safety procedures.

Just doing something dangerous with a child is not child endangerment (skiing is dangerous, but lots of people go skiing with their children)

The straight forward answer is Yes. Since rock climbing in a jeep is "known" to be dangerous and runs a risk of serious injury or death any person subjecting a child to participating could be liable.

• The biggest danger is a roll-over. I'd say, have your kids wear helmets. Most pro rock crawlers wear helmets at competitions. Speed isn't really a factor so much as banging around the cabin if you roll over.

Not where I live. It's what people do.

As long as there is appropriate safety gear (and do check on this) everything is a safe as it can get.

The adult MUST be well aware of the limitations of the child and themselves.

Sounds like you are searching for reasons to use against the other parent.

EDIT: I apologize for the assumption, according to your update, reverse my previous statement.