Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

prius questions please bare with me?

i already know that jerry is gonna answer but please break it down to me.....and if any one els has any answers please chip in thank you,,,,

2010 prius--30,000 miles

1.when is the break in point

2.how many miles can i travel on th ev mode,,,i live on a military base tops speed--35 mph,,35 miles to work and 35 miles back..

3.i heard the tank or bladder only fills to 9 gal,,and can is it wise to use all 11.9 gal,,before filling up

4.i hear alot of people saying they get 55+ mpg driving the way they should in a prius,,,and then i hear other people saying they only get 40 mpg driving really slow and good the way they should in the prius,,

5.from me driving 70 miles round trip from home to work and back and 20 mils for running errands,,how long would one tank of gas last me and please dont just add the miles and the gallons

6.what kinds of oil should i use

7.should i lease or buy,,,seeing how they next year prius might be better

8.if you floored it every where you drive what would your mpg be

9.being a guy would people look at me strange

10.is i better to drive at lower speeds with this car,,,and/or short distances

11.how much for the tires if a blow out were to happen

12.do you have to let the car warm up

13.is it hard to understand all the display options it has to max mpg

14,when in ev mode your using electricity from the battery,until you use all that enegry up or you pass the speed limit,,i heard when you press the brakes and come to a stop you recharge that battery,,once this happens can i use the ev mode again cause the battery has been charged every time i brake

15.at what times do i have to start doing oil changes,tire rotation,fluid changes,spark plug changes,

16.can i put a v8 into the car hahahah jk on that one lol

• JerryJ
    Favorite Answer

1.when is the break in point

Depends on what you mean by 'break-in'. You should take it easy for the first 500 miles, and you should not brake hard during the first three hundred miles (note that the braking part is for any new tires, not the car).

2.how many miles can i travel on th ev mode.

If you run out of gas, maybe a mile. Otherwise, the Prius doesn't work that way.

The spec size of the gas tank is based on an industry formula. it doesn't indicate the usable quantity. I fill up when the warning light comes on, unless it's very cold out or I am in an unfamiliar area. Running out of gas isn't any better in the Prius than it is in any other car, and should you run out when it's -30 your life expectancy is about thirty minutes.

4.i hear alot of people saying they get 55+ mpg ...

I have a presentation, contact me, but like any car you can get better or worse than the EPA numbers depending upon how you drive and the terrain you drive in. There was a documented case of a group of people getting 120 mpg in the Prius.

5.from me driving 70 miles round trip from home to work and back and 20

There are a lot of variables here. Usually I get 500 to 600 miles per tank. Less in cold weather.

6.what kinds of oil should i use

The 2010 uses 0W-20 oil that meets ACEA A5/B5 and ILSAC GF5 specifications. It's in the manual.

7.should i lease or buy

Leasing is always bad for the consumer. If you change any of your habits you can end up with a big payment. Leasing makes sense if you have a business where you can write off the car because then there is no question about how much is deductible.

Again this depends, but it's possible to get down to 35 mpg.

Not in my experience. The only place I've ever heard this is from some people in Answers. In the real world people just don't care.

Short distances = lower mpg. The reason is that there is a warm up period where the engine and catalytic converter gets up to temperature.

Prius tires aren't all that expensive. My last set of Nokians was $360 or so. Keep the air pressure up and you won't have a problem.

12.do you have to let the car warm up

No modern car needs to be warmed up. That's a bad practice. Just drive moderately for a few minutes.

No. Only a few are of value. I have a Scanguage to supplement the gauges. I've found that helps a lot.

14,when in ev mode your using electricity

The Prius has regenerative braking but that's not where most of the charging comes from. Most charging happens because anytime the Prius is in motion, one of the two motor/generators (MG) is acting as a generator. Which one it is depends on the circumstances.

I recommend a first oil change at 500 miles to make sure there isn't any foreign material left over from manufacture, then every 10,000 miles in the 2010. One Prius group member tested the oil every 50 miles for the first 1000 miles and found that the metallic content didn't increase after 250 miles.

The first tire rotation should be at 1600 miles or shortly thereafter (this is for any vehicle, not just the Prius). This reduces the possibility of odd wear or vibrations later in the tires' life.

The manual calls for tire rotation every 5K miles, but I'd do it when you change the oil.

Engine and cabin air filters are every 15K miles.

Drain and fill the transaxle every 40K miles.

Spark plugs and coolant changes are at 100,000K miles

There is no law against silliness (good thing too) :-)

• riesgo

as fuel costs broaden, prius costs will broaden and toyota will begin making extra. However, theyre nonetheless very tough to get and rather of a raffle. if fuel costs cross down, the importance of the vehicle will lessen sharply and you are going to have ended up overpaying.