D asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

Please help me find my great-great grandparents?

Their names are Jerry Revels and Cornelia McCoy. They lived in Maxton, North Carolina. They were African American. They had a daughter named Bertha Mae McCoy who was born on August 1, 1926. Sadly, that is the only information I know.

Favorite Answer

I find a female, Black, Bertha Mae McNair b. Aug 1, 1926 in Robeson County (Maxton) with a parent 2 Cornelius McNair (Parent 2 is mother in all records of others born same date) in the NC Birth Index.

1920 census for NC Scotland County Stewartsville Twsp I find a family transcribed as Mcroy but looking at image it is McKoy, French and wife Matilda and dau Mary with sister-in-law Cornealius McNair age 19 Single b. NC also in household.

John French McKay has a WWI Draft Registration Card filed 1918 in Robeson County.

Could be Cornelia McNair gave daughter Bertha to sister Matilda McCoy/McKay/McKoy to raise.

The oldest child born 1945 to Willie McCall and Bertha May has McKay when 2 other children have McCoy.

1910 NC Robeson County Maxton has a Black McNair family with daughters Tilda and Cornelius. Parents Kay and Victoria.

In 1900 census for Maxton the head or father is McKay McNair. Has daughter Matildy. Cornelius would not be born yet.

There is only one Jerry Revels in the same area of NC and he and family are Native American according to censuses and newspaper articles. Actually the newspapers say "Jerry Revels, Indian".

Source(s): Ancestry.