Why we should remember the Holocaust?

I know we should remember it because it serves as a reminder that it should never happen again. But what other reasons? Especially, what reasons do religious people have? Thanks

Update:

Thing is though, it has happened again and again in places like China, Iraq, Korea, Rwanda, and Cambodia etc. There's gotta be more reasons. And its wierd how all religions teach of forgiveness, however bad the sin, and the bible teaches people not to speak of sinners. So I don't get how its so widely remembered still... (not that I think it should be forgotten...)

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

We must remember the Holocaust because those very conditions, prejudices and beliefs are still present today. We as well as they are People of the Book, the Bible. As Christians we worship the same God. In the Genesis 17, God changed Abram's name to Abraham and Sarai's name to Sarah. The sign of the covenant, circumcision, was established. God gave this sign as a reminder of his promise. God explicitly stated that the land he promised Abraham and his descendants was an everlasting possession. God also explicitly stated that the covenant went through Isaac (v. 21) not Ishmael. (Genesis 17:2-9 and Deuteronomy 1:7-8). While several of the Arab peoples descend from Abraham through Ishmael, they are not in the line of promise which is the line of Isaac and Jacob. Therefore, they have no Scriptural claim to the land promised to Abraham and his seed.

The Jewish state came to an end in 70 AD, when the Romans begin to actively drive Jews from the home they had lived in for over a millennium. The Romans then destroyed Jerusalem, annexed Judaea as a Roman province, and systematically drove the Jews from Palestine. After 73 AD, Hebrew history would only be the history of the Diaspora as the Jews and their world view spread over Africa, Asia, and Europe.

The name Palestine encompasses the ancient Holy Land and the modern nation of Israel. But it is not the original name for that country. The Romans assigned this name about the second century A.D. Some believe that Israel today was once called Palestine millennia ago. The word Palestine does not occur in the original Hebrew or Greek Bible texts. The Hebrew term Pelesheth, which refers to the land of the ancient Philistines—Philistia—is erroneously translated in the King James Version as “Palestina” in Exodus 15:14 and in Isaiah 14:29 and 31, and as “Palestine” in Joel 3:4.

The Arabs living in Israel at the time of the first emigration, aliyah, of Jews to their homeland were offered the opportunity to stay and live in peace with the Jews. Unfortunately, this was discouraged by neighboring Arab countries and the conflict continues to this day. The beginning of the modern Jewish return to Eretz Yisrael - the Land of Israel -, which laid the foundations for the establishment of the State of Israel, were due to a combination of three causes:

* the age-old devotion of the Jews to their historic homeland,

* the wave of pogroms in Russia and

* the efforts of an active minority convinced that the return to their ancestral homeland was the only lasting and fundamental solution to the Jewish problem.

Israel is a fundamental part of the West. The West is what it is thanks to its Judeo-Christian roots. If the Jewish element of those roots is upturned and Israel is lost, then we are lost too. Whether we like it or not, our fate is inextricably intertwined.

Unfortunately, there are many in the Middle East that are determined to destroy Israel and wipe it off the face of the earth. It is imperative we remember the Lord telling Abraham, "King James Bible

And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed." Gen. 12:3. And we must never forget that Jesus Christ was FIRST and FOREMOST a Jew the only begotten Son of the Jewish God.

In His Name, Bro. James

Apostolic pastor

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

In the 90's, Christians in Kosovo were 'ethnically cleansing' Muslims, just like the Nazis did to the Jews and others during WWII. At the time, we Americans were going out of our way to deny that a genocide was happening because we didn't want to get involved in another war.

I'm afraid the idea is not to ensure that it never happens again, the idea is to prevent it from happening to Jews again.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

a reliable buddy of mine's mom Vivien Spitzer wrote a e book referred to as "The docs from Hell." She become the 1st secretary to the 1st usual who visited the Holocaust with first palms bills. The e book tells of all of the terrible experiments that the well being practitioner did on its civillians. there have been pictures and testimonials of all of the physique factors that have been located in seperate bins a container merely full of hands and yet another one for legs. It appear as if poultry being technique and the KFC its merely a finished nightmare. in my opinion i've got been to holocuast museums. Oh i did no longer end Vivien Spitzer become the 1st women persons to circulate into congress. Her son had an arial view of her wearing white in Congress corridor on an analogous time as she become surrounded by potential of guys wearing black. It become merely historic to declare the least

• 9 years ago

Jews remember it because many of our families perished there and because we recall all the Jewish disasters from the time of the destruction of the 1st Temple in 586 BCE. It reminds of us who we are -- we have been strangers in strange lands and must treat all others as we would want to be treated.

A Jewish fantasy by Rabbi Jason Holtz:

The first fantasy is a historical one—that we are supposed to see ourselves [Jews] as though we were slaves redeemed from Egypt. That is how the ancient rabbis asked us to mark Passover. Of course, none of us were slaves in ancient Egypt. But, I was never a cowboy, and I’m wearing this hat. But having that fantasy was important to the rabbis. Why? Because it gave us the ability to imagine what it was like to be oppressed and what it was like to experience freedom for the very first time. Being able to see ourselves as oppressed strangers, we are better able to understand and empathize with those who are still oppressed. While we were freed, societies all across the globe still have people that because of their station in life, are oppressed. They are oppressed with poverty, with hunger, with lack of opportunity, with lack of a voice, and so on. We, as Jews, who see ourselves as of the generation of Israelites who experienced slavery and redemption, understand and are keenly sensitive to that. And like those Israelites who tasted freedom for the very first time, it still has a sweet taste to us. Unlike slavery, all of us know freedom. We truly are blessed to be living in the time and place that we are, in the United States. I believe that. But sometimes what we have always known becomes taken for granted. Freedom is a right, but it is not one that has always been guaranteed throughout history. We can appreciate it all the more so when we imagine what it was like to have first been granted freedom.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I think it is extremely important to remember. It would be easy to tell ourselves that the Nazis were insane and evil, but how is it possible all of them were? In truth, they were regular people led astray and could anyone honestly say we would not be Nazi's if we were raised in their environment? They went to work murdering others and then went home to their wives, children and pets as though nothing was wrong. How could this be? I think we have to realize that humans are capable of extreme evil and we have to understand how it could come to be that humans could reach such a dark and perverse place. We have to understand our susceptibility to be led by authority into evil deeds while foregoing our innate sense of decency and also understand our susceptibility to be brainwashed so we are critical thinkers.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

we already have forgotten , in the u.s.a alone over 200,000 future citizens are slaughtered each year, and with some, their body parts are used in experiments and other pharmaceutical concoctions .

in the nuremberg war trials many germans and others were executed for precisely the same experiments

• Yeah I agree with your edit. People never learn. I long ago put aside the hope that people are not doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

• 9 years ago

The only people who "remember" the holocaust (i.e. remember as a religious activity) are the Jews because they were the victims. But ultimately, we are ALL victims if we do NOT remember.

There are people today trying to either reduce the holocaust to a minor incident, or even worse, to deny it ever happened! That is as bad as the people who actually carried it out!

• Joe
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Actually, to make sure it NEVER happens again is the most important reason. No other reason comes close. That is the key!

Edit: Fraizie, you are correct. Also to honor those who suffered through it. Thumbs up for you!

• doshta
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

To honor those who die and, like you said, prevent it from happening again. What more of a reason could you need?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Why single out the Holocaust? What about all the other genocides that happened, like all the genocides in Africa up to the late 90s, even into the 2000s? Oh yeah, that's different I guess ... they're not Jews. Apparently everything has to be about Jews and precious Israel.

EDIT: lol @ the answers like "so it doesn't happen again" ... "so history doesn"t repeat itself." It already happened again in parts of Africa and various parts of Asia. Where are the multimillion dollar government funded museums for those genocides? There are none because such museums would only bring in donations for African countries, not Israel. People ALWAYS bring up the holocaust, but never other genocides because it doesn't fit your pro-Israel agendas.

And it doesn't make a person racist to point out that hypocrisy. Jews are not a race. Judaism is a religion. Get over yourselves.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.