Artillery Officers in Ranger Battalions?

First off, if you are wondering why I am asking this question on yahoo answers instead of a military forum, the simple reason is because I have more often than not gotten much better answers and more replies from yahoo than most other military forums combined. My question is, what potential options will I have... show more First off, if you are wondering why I am asking this question on yahoo answers instead of a military forum, the simple reason is because I have more often than not gotten much better answers and more replies from yahoo than most other military forums combined.

My question is, what potential options will I have as an officer, and how likely is it that I may reach my goal of being able to serve in one of the 3 Ranger battalions. I am currently in FA BOLC, Infantry was my first choice, I even volunteered an ADSO of 8 years for it, but the powers that be at Cadet Command chose not to take me up for my offer, therefore branching me FA. I am graduating in mid April, and being assigned to Schoefield Barracks, HI. As of now, it looks like I will not even get to deploy for the 3-3.5 years I will be stationed there. Also, from the looks of it, I will not get the chance to be a gun line PL, as the patch dates for my brigade would seem to suggest I wont have any theater time as a 2LT or even as a 1LT.

So my question is, what options, if any, are available to an FA Officer interested in joining the 75th Regiment? Do the battalions require FA Fire Support Officers? Do they need to fill slots that are required to be filled by FA Lieutenants or Captains? Or am I just out of look, since I did not branch Infantry, and will probably not be granted any platoon time.

Any suggestions or advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.
Update: I meant to write out of *luck, not out of "look". Sorry for the incorrect spelling.
1 answer 1