Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 decade ago

What does "He's a poet,and didn't know it" mean?

I keep hearing this in real life and on the computer and I tried to look it up what it meant.No helping results.So,if you know what it means,please tell me!Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a joke meant to mock someone who said something that rhymes, because the phrase itself is a couplet rhyme.

• 5 years ago

Was He's a poet a don't know it " in a film?

• 1 decade ago

When people make a rhyme without realising, people say "I'm a poet and I didn't even know it," which also rhymes, to make a point that they just rhymed.

Basically, people say it when what they just rhymed.

• "poet" and "it" rhyme, and rhyme is common in poems, so it's like someone has made a poem without intending to, but in reality much more work goes into creating an actual poem

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Its an old saying used when someone says something that they didnt mean to rhyme but does.

"He's a poet and didnt know it, ... but his feet show it, they are Longfellow's" (Longfellow was a poet)

• 5 years ago

This is jrs saying not a common saying lmfao

• 1 decade ago

It is a jocular saying used when someone unwittingly says something that rhymes .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't try to rhyme, but I do it all the time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.