Jason asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

i've been working out for over 5 years, and still cannot get six pack abs, what is wrong with me!?

ill try going into detail as much as i can:

height: 5'10

ethnicity: white

age i started working out: 16

age now: turned 21 a few days ago.

weight when i was 16: 175

now: 143

this girl i asked out in high school laughed at me and said 'um your kidding right, lose some weight' and it hurt me really really really bad.

so i joined the gym, and i lost a TON of weight, i wasnt super fat, i had the round belly and no definiton anywhere on me.

i got pretty annorexic skinny to be honest. i was at 127 at my lowest.

so i had skinny arms and legs and a pretty skinny torso too at the time, you can see the hip bones and rib cage kinda, but i had no six pack, that was my real goal ever since i started.

then i got a girlfriend who was horrible. the first time i took off my shirt in front of her she said "oh.. i thought you had a six pack.. um.. yea" that KILLED me, man it shot my self esteem down.

i worked out a lot after that! but i remained annorexic skinny and no abs still.

after the breakup, i realized i had to eat more protein, so i did. the past year and a half, i have bulked up. my arms are bigger, i have pecs, you can still see my hip bones, and you can see the top 4 abs, i can see the lower 2 very vaguley when i flex hard and everything, but its just not THERE, like if someone said, 'hey lift your shirt', i'd have to pose and flex and hold my breath.

im 143 now, i do have muscle now, not annorexic, i workout 6-7 days a week, i take Up Your Mass protein right after a workout, and ill eat 4 egg whites with chicken breast as well.

i workout everything too, not just abs, my arms, legs, back, triceps, pecs, etc.

i run everytime i go to the gym, and 4 days a week i run at least 30 minutes if not longer.

i will admit, i think i have body dismorphia, where i see a distorted image of myself in the mirror, different from what others think, but still, it discourages me and makes me super super super depressed that i dont have abs. i feel as if it i cant get a girlfriend because i dont have the magical 6 pack :(

help please.

ps if someone says 'dont workout every day', well.. i get even more depressed, i get super upset like if im at work and i didnt workout that day, i go bizirk when i get home and call myself fat, and refuse to eat, and when i go the next day i workout like crazy.

• Sarg
    Best Answer

First of all, forget that cruel judgmental ***** who laughed at you. You have a good attitude, I too feel SICK if I don't excercise at least 6 days a week. You might want to seek a career in personal training and get into bodybuilding after school that's what I did, just remember when I say I excercise 6 days a week I mean i do cardio 6 days a week, strength training daily will result in over training and stunted growth or even muscle loss. A good strength training routine is important, for cardio you can just go running everyday.

Anyways on to the issue, repeat after me, six pack abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. See in order for most people to get a six pack you have to have very good nutrition, you need to have less than 8% bodyfat in order for a six pack to show up, starving yourself is bad, you will lose fat but mostly muscle, obviously that's going to hurt your 6 pack.

You need to lose weight slowly while getting sufficient protein through lean sources, it sounds like you know a bit about what you're doing, but are you spreading out your protein in take? See your body can only absorb so much protein at once and it sucks at storing the excess for later use, that's why us bodybuilders eat 4-6 meals a day. Anyone who strength trains without spreading out an adquetate in take of protein like this can only hope to see limited and slower gains.

I can tell you now unless you resort to steroids(which I am against) you are not going to succeed with that attitude, you need to do this for yourself, not some selfish girl who expects you to work your *** off for her slight amusement. However if you do succeed feel free to talk down to those snooty girls when you start looking like a super hero, that's what I do when I see the people who put me down because they had superior athletic ability than me in kiddy corner(aka highschool).

As for supplements don't take weight gain garbage, that stuff is for like football players who are interested in gaining upper body fat and muscle. Stick to simple whey protein, I've not heard of up your mass but if it's anything but pure protein powder I suggest stopping.

Some good sources of protein are:

Whey protein powder, skimmed milk, grilled chicken, grilled fish, boiled eggs(prefferably whites), Lobster(one of the most potent sources of protein known to man), beans, quinoa, Fat Free Yogurts, Soy Sauce, best combined with brown rice, cottage cheese, partly skimmed mozzarella cheese.

Some terrible and overrated sources of protein are:

Peanut butter, fried chicken, fried fish, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, cheddar and american cheese, Bacon, sausage, any fried meats.

The problem with these overrated meals is that they have way too many calories and fat and not enough protein(especially peanut butter). It's good to have cheat meals occasionally, but if these are part of your diet staples then you're going to have a hard time getting a 6 pack.

My advice for you is to not sweat the girls, they are easily foolled to the point that they become dillusional, I have an obese friend weighing in at over 300 lbs, a fat friend, and a weakling friend who weighs in at 160 pounds of sugar and lack of protein and strength training, know what they have in common? They are cocky about their imaginary muscle and have Girls who are fooled into thinking they have manly men for boyfriends, bodybuilding for girls is too much work, I think the only thing you need is a self confidence boost, don't stop the training, just start doing it for yourself. If you can learn to do that then not only will you be able to get a 6 pack, but you will be able to find a good girl and keep your 6 pack long after those horrible girls become fat and depressed, most obese women you see on tv were hot snobs in highschool, highschool is a short and overrated part of life, you're much better off spending the rest of your life a winner than 4 years.

• Shan

u should weigh about 166 for your height. women who expect you to look a certain way are shallow and they are hte ones that will end up fat, lonely and unhappy because karma is a *****.

make sure you eat healthy every day and exercise 5 days a week or so. those lower abs can be a ***** to get. Try hanging knee raises at the gym (where you hang from the straps or roman chair) and bring your knees up to your chest. also doing crunches on a decline bench will work the lower abs. most people dont know this but when you do ANY exercise your reps should last 6 seconds each! 2 seconds on the crunch/curl, etc. (the hard part) and 4 seconds on the release (going back to the starting point motion) the better you do your reps the better results you will see.

dont let any girl tell u how to look, that is shallow and sad. keep your body healthy and good looking for YOU

Source(s): personal trainer

The girls you're dating are complete bitches. A six-pack will not magically get you loads of girls. Though it could help your confidence which would get you girls, so I will help you.

Why are you running and at the same time taking a mass-gainer? These two things are counter-productive to each other. Running will make you expend more calories which will stunt muscle growth and weight gain. It is impossible for your body to burn fat and build muscle at the same time. If you want to be muscular give up the running. You also need to workout smart, not just hard. Stop the isolation exercises and concentrate on compound lifts. Do squats, deadlifts, bench-presses, dips, overhead/shoulder presses, pullups and rows, give up the dumbells and start using a barbell. For your abs do not do situps or crunches, use isometric exercises like planks, L-sits and L-hangs, if you can get a legit L-sit of 2-3 minutes your abs will be rock solid.

don't let girls get your self opinion down. do you really need a girlfriend! maybe you could check with your local hospital and see if they have a support group. this would be a good way to understand why you feel the way you do and also meet people that feel the same way. maybe 6 OKs aren't in the genetics. you work out eat right,have a job, be happy that you are healthy and have a job. maybe look into getting another hobby.

volunteer at a nursing home; people will appreciate your companionship and not mind if you have a 4 or 6 pk; then you can feel good about your self because you made someone else happy. good luck

Even People with amazing six packs get those lines on the stomach when they sit down. If you want to get skin tight abs you'll have to drop body fat. If you go too low you'll put yourself a risk for a major health risk. Women need to have a higher percentage of body fat for child bearing reasons, since you're 15 years old it doesn't concern you much but it will you the future. It really depends on your diet. You need to cut out fats to lower your body fat. But you also need to rev up your metabolism with 5 to 6 small meals a day. Also you need to mix weight's with cardio. Resistance training is very good at droping fat because your muscles continue to burn calories after you stop working out. But remember, you need to eat!!! And take it easy on the workouts, too much can have a reverse effect on your body. Everything must be done in moderation. Also you must rest one day in between workouts. Remember though, there is much more to life than looking good.

So-called health foods that you should NEVER eat (they can actually increase stomach fat http://www.TheAbsExercise.Info As many peple asked-is truth about abs program a Scam-So I check the whole program and full review it.

1

Source(s): Have Bigger Boobs Naturally http://emuy.info/NaturalBreastEnlargement/?R0XU

to tell you the truth, maybe its best if you can only see your abs vaguely. girls say that they think six packs are hot, but personally, as a girl, i know that girls only say that to bring guys down. we like it when guys are strong, but when their muscles show too much, it kinda scares us, so please dont worry. if you can vaguely see them when you're not flexing, and can see them when you are, then you're looking great the way you are. maybe you just got unlucky with that mean girl. dont worry! hope i was a help! :) ps, if i was, please choose best answer!!

All I can say it's time to take off the pounds and do it the right way HEALTHY

You will get pleasure from your foods without having to worry about gaining fat.