Autism or Aspergers what do you think?

I have got to diagnosed with autism from three specialists I think it was twice and I was younger and once when I was older but now that I understand a little more i myself am thinking about the possibility of Asbergers. I'm going to list my symptoms I won't post them on because I don't think I know them all but I'll try my best and I'm hoping someone can put a opinion out there and see if they agreed with the people before. Or think I should go again. (Btw I can only spell this time I'm using a program haha just so if you ask)

1: Ill run of without thinking when upset.

2: Im not good with understanding others or making conversations.

3: I like to be alone but at the same time I want friends but I can't.

4: I do weird movements (Fingers/Rocking/pasting back and forth over and over)

5: attention problems I guess you could say that because I'm interested in other things around me when others are talking I don't seem to care about them as much as I do the object.

6: Lineing things up.

7: no eye contacked i hate it.

8: Brake downs with school work (dont know if that has to do with it but thought id say its good to make sure)

9: perfectly fine with sounds. but i hate bright lights and alot of people.

10: sensory issues.

11: I will say things at the wrong time when I'm alone with someone I have known and came out of my shell with. I can tell from there reactions or looks over time you learn them looks :/

That's all I can remember.

• undir
    Favorite Answer

If you were diagnosed with autism, then you may have high functioning autism (HFA). HFA and Asperger's syndrome (AS) are almost exactly the same. The main difference between them is that people with HFA have a speech delay as children, but people with AS don't have a speech delay. Apart from that both of them share pretty much all the same symptoms. All of the symptoms you listed could apply to both of them.

Both HFA and AS are autism spectrum disorders on the high functioning end of the spectrum. They are actually so similar that the American Psychiatric Association is planning to change the diagnostic criterias for them in 2013, so that they will in the future be diagnosed as the same disorder (autism) instead of diagnosing AS as a separate disorder.

So when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter much whether you have HFA or AS. There is such a small difference between them. I don't think it's important for you to be re-evaluated. It wouldn't change much at all.

Source(s): I have Asperger's syndrome.
  • Lene O

Dear Luke,

This is a serious question and it deserves the best possible answer.

The only problem is that the answer needs to come from a person with the right qualifications: a neuro psychiatrist or a medical doctor.

You have no way of knowing if the person who writes a response on Yahoo is any of these.

PLEASE get a qualified person to evaluate these symptoms.

You do not have to like the answer- the diagnosis- or the work needed to live with this.

BUT, how can you have a life that makes you feel OK if you do not deal with the real situation?

The good news is that there are other people who live with disabilities, even with autism. Asbergers spectrum.

I know it is not easy or simple or fun.

I do know that there are ways to cope. I recently saw a video about Temple Grandin, a gal who helped people understand about autism because she has it.

We are rooting for you.

My tremendous-nephew has Asperger Syndrome and is a common wonderful baby. he's on a par with babies of his own age in school and has many acquaintances. He has little 'rituals' which he likes to do and he does no longer seem to have a similar aspect of understanding of threat as his piers, yet he's in the different case positive. My 19 year previous son is on the bottom end of the spectrum nonetheless (Kanner's Autism) and has the psychological age of a 12 month infant. He does no need or understand speech, has no existence skills, no idea of threat and supplies with extreme frustrating behaviour. I used to attend many help communities at the same time as my son changed into youthful and many babies with both Asperger and Autism lead solid lives. The spectrum is significant and with the right aspect of help your son could do ok.

Asperger's is an autistic spectrum disorder. Part of autism.

(And it isn't always "autism lite" by any means).

It is proposed for the next revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) that Asperger's disappears as a separate diagnostic criterion, being absorbed into "High Functioning Autism"

And autistic spectrum disorders are life-long conditions. If you've had three specialists giving similar answers, it's probably pretty settled.

Your symptoms seem pretty consistent with Asperger's/HFA .

(You may have rights to find out exactly what they did say on records about you, depending on where you live.)

I have Asperger's. Not HFA on the technical question of no speech delay as an infant.

I have a 7 year old daughter with Autism, so I understand many of the symptoms. Only a qualified health professional could diagnose you, but I understand you are looking for people's opinions based on what you are writing.

All of the things you wrote are things that many individuals with Autism/Aspergers experience. Many "typical" people experience some things on your list too!

In order to be diagnosed with Asperger's you must have two of the following social skills problems:

(1) problems with eye contact, facial expressions or gestures

(2) problems making age appropriate friendships

(3) problems interacting with others

(4) problems carrying on conversations back and forth with others or able to relate emotionally to others

AND you must have one of these problems:

(1) being preoccupied or obsessed with a certain interest

(2) inflexible to routines

(3) repetitive movements ( such as hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

(4) be preoccupied with certain parts of objects

If you have two social skills problems listed and one of the other issues listed, these problems also must cause issues with your social life or schooling or work. Also, to qualify for an Asperger's diagnosis you must not have had a language delay or other types of cognitive delays, and do not have any other sort of disorder such as schizophrenia.

Those are the guidelines that health professionals use when diagnosing Asperger's. Asperger's is basically a form of Autism, however individuals with Asperger's are considered "high-functioning."

Please remember that labels do not define who you are, but if you are trying to figure out who you are, sometimes labels can help. Knowing if you have Aspergers could help you improve different areas of your life. There are many books and social skills stories and programs you can look into to help you learn how to read social cues and deal with sensory needs. My daughter has many sensory needs, and I have things with me all the time to help her deal with them.

Sometimes bright lights, such as flourescent lights can be awful to people on the spectrum. Wearing colored sunglasses can help with that.

Good luck. Remember you are not alone!