If a full moon affects the earth's tides how does it affect people if we are mostly 70% water?

I was watching a show about the planets and moons and they were saying things on how the moon affects earth's tides and I thought "how does it affect us if we are mostly made of water"?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

You've misunderstood tidal forces. Let me explain:

Let's pretend the Earth and Moon are the only things in the universe. The Moon is orbiting the Earth, as usual. The Moon, being a massive body, has a gravitational field. But that gravitational field isn't uniform. It's stronger closer to the Moon, and weaker further from the Moon. That means the part of Earth nearest to the Moon experiences a greater gravitational pull, and the part of Earth furthest from the Moon experiences a weaker gravitational pull.

This lopsided gravitational pull (called a tidal force) causes the region nearest to the Moon to bulge outwards (towards the Moon), and also causes the region furthest from the Moon to bulge outwards (away from the Moon). As the Earth rotates, the point on Earth's surface which is closest to the Moon traces a circle around the Earth. That's why there are two oceanic tides each day.

These tidal forces affect land and water alike. However, since water is a liquid, the water sloshes around a lot more than the land (though the land does slosh a bit).

You are affected by tidal forces as well. However, due to your small size, the side of you closest to the Moon and the side of your furthest from the Moon experience almost exactly the same gravitational pull. That means the tidal forces are almost zero, and you feel no effect. If you were falling into/onto a black hole, however, it would be another story, and the tidal forces would tear your body apart into its constituent particles.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The moon does affect tides, which is OPEN water. The water in our bodies is distributed and concealed inside our bodies. Plus, we are too small and the moon is too small and far away to affect one individual. It does, however, effect all life on Earth because without the moon, the Earth would have this wobbling motion where the equator would become as cold as the poles, and the poles as hot as the equator, and back again to the original temperatures, and back again. Hurricanes hundred of miles wide would rip across vast amount of distances of Oceans and Continents and would rage for months before dying off. I guess it's lucky that this huge Mars-sized planet hit us Billions of years ago.

• 9 years ago

It effects people about as much as it effects a bathtub full of water. That is, no noticeable effect at all.

The tides are the result in the *difference* in the force of the Moon's gravity over the 8,000 mile diameter of the Earth and not just the effect of the Moon's gravity at one spot. Since a person is only about 1/900 of a mile tall, and only 1/7,200,000 as tall as the Earth is wide, the effects on a person would be about seven million times smaller then the effects on the ocean.

• Anna
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I knwo it affects how long the earth takes to rotate. At first the earth rotaed once every 6 hours, but the moon is slowing us down. We now take 24 hours to make one rotaion on our axis. and later in a few million years it will grow to 30 then 40 and so on. Good luck that is the most important thing, Also the moon affects alot of animals like turtles and when they lay thier eggs. They only lay on new or full moons.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andy P
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Compared to the volume of water in the Earth's seas and oceans, the human body's water is almost nothing. So I'd say the Moon has nearly zero affect.

• The moon pulls water towards it due to gravity not because it looks bright. It has absolutely nothing to do with how lit it is.

That gravitational pull is the same for anything on the planet, whether its water or not. The effect is so slight that only something like water can be moved and only the ocean is large enough for an observable effect.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The oceans are huge bodies of water that have enough volume to be noticeably affected by the moon. We might have a lot of water in us but too little for it to be directly affected by the moon.

• 9 years ago

I would work it out something like this. Oceans are about 3000 km wide, with tide heights about 3 meters (less than that in most places). So the tide height is 3 parts in 3,000,000.

Humans are about 2 meters, so the tidal effect would be about 2 millimeters (less than 1/10 of one inch). But actually, the strength of our skin and bones is enough to work against this; you don't get 1/10 inch higher at high tide.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It isn't 70%

At it's highest, our body water is around 75% when we are first born... and greatly decreases over the next 10 years.

Healthy, grown males are ~60% and females are ~55%

As for the moon affecting us... I have no clue about that. I don't think it does affect our bodies directly and if it does it's minimal.

• 9 years ago

The moon actually pulls on EVERYTHING not just water. The effect is just more visible on the oceans because as a liquid it moves easier and less rigidly. Land also has a tidal effect from the moon it is just far smaller and harder to measure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.