Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 9 years ago

if you pee on the third rail do you die?

The third rail of a subway or train...don't ask why it is a really long (and slightly drunk) story.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If it was going to kill you, it would have been while you were urinating. However, this is extremely unlikely, as your urine breaks up before it hits the rail, and therefore is unable to conduct the electricity to your body.

So, no.

• Marie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Probably not, no. But then why take a chance with such an important part of your anatomy...? **EDIT** The rules governing railway operations always err slightly on the side of caution and will tell you not to do something that COULD be risky. Therefore you are told not to direct any jets of water onto the 3rd rail because of the risk that you will cause a short circuit back along the stream of water and through your body to earth. Peeing on the 3rd rail is a slightly different matter. While your pee initially comes out as a constant stream, the further it travels from your body the more this stream breaks up into droplets. Therefore there will be lots of gaps in your pee that the electricity will have to jump in order to reach you, which means that it is by no means certain that you'll be harmed let alone killed. However, as I said above, why take the risk? Are you angling for a Darwin Award? Just because it is not certain it doesn't mean that it isn't a risky thing to try and you could do yourself a lot of harm proving the matter one way or the other.

• 9 years ago

I still would avoid that. The 3rd rail is about 600 volts & supplies enough current for a few trainsets of subway cars on each line. Each car pulls like 2000 amps. That's some serious frying bro.

• Derail
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I thought every kid (boys) peed on an electric fence at some point in their lives. I did. It will knock you down. So I'm sure the third rail would have dire consequences.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Chuck is totally wrong. Electricity can arc across gaps in your pee and zap you right in the nuts. Penile electrocution is very painful. And if the electrical current is sustained, your testicles will explode.

• 9 years ago

Short answer: no.

Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage disproved this myth on their show "Mythbusters."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.