In college but passionate about culinary arts, help?

Hi, I'm currently 21 and in college in VA. I have been in school for three years and still haven't found a major that leads to a career I think I could live with without becoming bored out of my mind, not to mention all the classes we have to take that have no real world application.I am not motivated at college at all and It makes getting through class and assignments extremely painful. I am driven by my passions and can never really seem to find much motivation outside of them. There are 3 things I am very passionate about, cooking,music, and tennis. I am too old to train again and have already torn both Achilles tendons, which rules out tennis unless I coach which I enjoy but feel like it is really hard to get a job even though I'm decently knowledgeable for my age. I love music more than almost anyone I know but don't want to pursue a job in the industry. I also love cooking and I feel like I would be happy doing it for the rest of my life. I don't really know where I would go to culinary school and was wondering if anyone has suggestions. I would Ideally like to go to a place that I can get the best training possible even though I know it would be expensive. I would someday like to become a chef and I know its going to take a lot of hard work and time.I understand I need to make the decision for myself but I think it would help to have some fresh perspective from people or someone that has gone to culinary school. I have heard it is very hard and intense which doesn't bother me since I love it so much. I don't want to keep wasting time and money on a college education if I'll end up hating my job and quitting. Anyways, if you have some input you would like to share I appreciate it. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Culinary school is very expensive. Some are more expensive than private universities. The average tuition can be $ 30,000. Go to a prestigious culinary school. Examples are: The French Culinary Institute, Le Cordon Bleu, and The Culinary Institute of America. Some community colleges and technical colleges have culinary majors, but they do not have enough large kitchen equipment or supplies. Some schools do not have multiple stoves, ovens, etc. Culinary school have plenty of large ovens and stoves and that can prepare you to work in a professional kitchen.

The job opportunity is good. If there is more people willing to go to eat, then there is demand for chefs.

Chefs do not make a lot of money, they make about minimum wage. They work long hours (10 - 12 hours). They work everyday and they do not get vacations or holidays off (maybe except for Christmas). Chefs must also work in a environment that deals with a lot of pressure and stress. They are required to make food without looking at the recipes and they have to churn out many dishes in a very short time.

There are a lot of good culinary schools in the eastern united states. Look at the Culinary Institute of America and the French Culinary Institute, both in NY state.

in case you somewhat somewhat love cooking then you certainly could choose for it. Culinary arts isn't ineffective, we desire cooks all of the time for all those eating places in the international! the only ingredient you need to difficulty approximately is the pay, for the ordinary isn't very intense i've got confidence. yet once you're fortunate and artwork hard you need to additionally be an precise chef.

it is never too late to starting a new begining....go a head take some training about culinary arts its easy to do and you can enjoy your time too if you have interest